Update on Dryad file types?

Carl Boettiger

Feb 12, 2017, 5:25:12 PM2/12/17
to Dryad Developers, Dryad Curator, Dryad Helpdesk
Are there any recent estimates of the numbers of each kind of file in Dryad that could be shared publicly?  Ryan Scherle sent an email to the dev-list with counts of each file type on 2013-02-14 which was really informative; so I was hoping some updated statistics might be available?  (That discussion also raised the issue of identifying file types within archive formats, which were not reported at that time).

Thanks much!

Best,

Carl

Elizabeth Hull

Feb 14, 2017, 10:33:14 AM2/14/17
to dryad-dev
Hi Carl,

We should be able to pull something together soon. I do have a more recent version from 2015, attached. We anticipate a very different-looking list in 2017!

Best,
Elizabeth

____
Elizabeth Hull
Operations Manager, Dryad
dryadFileFormats_Apr2015.csv

Carl Boettiger

Feb 14, 2017, 11:09:01 AM2/14/17
to dryad-dev

Thanks!

Carl Boettiger

Feb 14, 2017, 1:47:16 PM2/14/17
to dryad-dev
Hi Elizabeth, Dryad folks,

Should have asked, is there a preferred way to cite Dryad for providing these stats?  Also, is there a version of this data that includes counts by filetype?

Thanks again,

Carl

Elizabeth Hull

Feb 14, 2017, 5:06:31 PM2/14/17
to dryad-dev
Carl,

Apologies, I didn't look carefully enough at the file I attached. The file type numbers from February 2015 are below, and we should have a current list for you soon.

Since we don't currently publish this anywhere, not sure how you would cite this other than to say that the stats were provided by Dryad.

5, Open Document Format Spreadsheet
2655, Comma-separated values (CSV)
   2, Tex/LateX document
2987, Microsoft Excel OpenXML
2522, Unknown data format
  10, Microsoft PowerPoint OpenXML
   4, Microsoft Powerpoint 97-2007
2040, Microsoft Excel 97-2007
  32, Audio Video Interleave (AVI)
  21, FASTA QUAL File
  76, Perl program
1495, FASTA sequence file
  15, Keyhole Markup Language (KML)
 285, Rich Text Format (RTF)
 490, R script
 210, Phylogeny Inference Package (Phylip)
  38, Hypertext Markup Language (HTML)
   7, Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG)
  16, Portable Network Graphics (PNG)
 209, JPEG Image
  25, MP3 audio
2335, Zip archive
  60, Python program
  33, Mathematica Notebook
1339, Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF)
  24, Postscript
  59, UNIX Tar File Gzipped (TGZ)
  10, MPEG-4 video
 135, Bzip2 archive
  13, Quicktime Video
   4, Web Ontology Language (OWL)
  22, Microsoft Excel Binary XML
  89, Wave Audio Format
   2, Graphics Interchange Format (GIF)
 211, Roshal ARchive (RAR)
 556, GZip archive
 356, Newick tree file
 596, Microsoft Word OpenXML
 238, Tag Image File Format (TIFF)
9769, Plain Text
  96, Tape Archive File (TAR)
   2, Item-specific license agreed upon to submission
 493, Microsoft Word 97-2007
 267, Extensible Markup Language (XML)
1283, Nexus

Carl Boettiger

Feb 14, 2017, 5:58:56 PM2/14/17
to dryad-dev
Thanks!

Ryan Scherle

Mar 2, 2017, 11:31:36 AM3/2/17
to drya...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carl,

An updated version of this list is now on GitHub, at

Hope that helps!

— Ryan

Carl Boettiger

Mar 2, 2017, 11:36:50 AM3/2/17