File Size differences

enqu...@thisisnessie.com

Aug 17, 2015, 12:25:03 PM8/17/15
to DropSync
Hi,

Slightly weird one here.

We are using dropsync to sync a load of images between our onsite server and our website and all had been fine until a few days ago.

We are now finding that every time we go to sync, the system is wanting to update the entire catalogue rather than just the images that have been recently added.

The reason it is giving for this is that there is a difference in the file sizes.

We have run a test with a single image which reports on our OSX server as being 941KB. But when it hits the remote server, it is being reported as only 852KB.

Anyone got any idea why/where this compression is occurring? We have definitely not got any compression set on the job....

Screen shots of the advanced config attached....

Thanks in advance

Duncan
Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 17.23.39.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 17.23.23.png

Ira Cooke

Aug 17, 2015, 5:15:51 PM8/17/15
to drop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Duncan,

That’s definitely an interesting one.  My guess is that you are seeing different file size because of differences in the way this is reported on different systems.  File size may not be the issue here though.  Even if the file sizes are the same the time stamps should allow drop sync to ignore the files on the server because these should be newer.

I recommend checking the time stamps on the files in question.  Maybe a setting on the server or OS X has changed to cause these to be incorrect somehow?  If you try allowing a few files to sync do those files need syncing again?

As a last resort you can try adding using the —checksum option and this will only sync files if they are not the same.  This option can be slow though as it takes some time to calculate those checksums.

Best wishes
Ira

<Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 17.23.39.png><Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 17.23.23.png>

Robert Hood

Jun 15, 2017, 8:07:14 AM6/15/17
to DropSync
Sounds like a drive sector size difference (Block size). But not sure why it would change only after a certain point.