Updating

smithjk52

Mar 12, 2018, 3:43:54 PM3/12/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
I guess I'm getting senile in my old age.  I've been using Portable Dropbox for a number of years on my USB.  Recently I got the dreaded "You're using an old version of Dropox" message 22 days left.  My dropbox shows up to date and version 39.4.49,
however I just can't seem to get it to upgrade as I have in the past.  I click on the Update Dropbox link which goes to the Dropbox site, select Run, it dl's the dropbox and begins installation, says there is an additional update, dl that and I see PortableDropboxAHkNew.exe, the it ask me to dl files for version 39.4.49 (this is a 96MB zip file).  The DropboxApplicationFilesNew.zip shows up in my usb dropbox folder, it processes then i get a message I have too many Dropboxes open?, please close them so I do.  Then i check my USB dropbox folder and i have a folder with all new files and an executable with the current date, but when i run it I still get the "old version" message.  I also now have Dropbox installted in Program Files on my desktop which i don't want so i uninstall it.  Not sure what to do

Günther Blumenstock

Mar 13, 2018, 5:25:40 AM3/13/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
Same here!

as far as I know the dropbox update needs to be approved and provided by Nick on his webspace in a certain way, so that DropboxPortableAHK can download and install it from there at the next program start. At least it used to work like this in the past.

Marc

Mar 13, 2018, 6:12:53 AM3/13/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
Hi folks

In my opinion, your client is blocked by dropbox, because DropboxPortableAHK uses an old version (39.4.49.0) of the dropbox client. The latest version of the oifficial Dropbox-client is 44.4.58

I was installing dropboxportableAHK on a new PC. In the Dropbox Login window, I am getting the following error: 'You're using an old version of Dropbox. Please download the latest version at...'
I am pretty sure that this is the same problem.

We probably need to wait for a new DropboxPortableAHK package....

Alfonso Arciniega

Mar 13, 2018, 6:23:19 PM3/13/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
You guys may want to check the post in the link below:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dropboxportableahk/OY6WOraM_Ag/nV0c8_dGBAAJ

Alfonso

Marc

Mar 14, 2018, 9:35:38 AM3/14/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
Hello Alfonso
Thank you so much!
Problem solved; DBportableAHK running and syncing!
Regards, Marc

gecko

Mar 27, 2018, 10:05:27 AM3/27/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
Hi Marc,

how did you manage it? I was trying this also to get rid of the annoying message "You're using an old version of Dropbox..."
But, unfortunately, at startup DropboxPortableAHK told me, that I'm not using a compatible Version of Dropbox. It downloaded the old version again (39.4.49) - well, same mess again. Any idea/solution?

Regards, Gecko

Tommaso Federici

Mar 28, 2018, 11:28:32 AM3/28/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
Hallo Alonso,
and thanks for your suggestion
I've just made step by step what you say in the linked post without any issue
only, when relaunching DropboxPortableAHK ...it autonomously (and without any possibility of halting it) started to download the Dropbox version 39.4, so that I'm now just at the same condition I was before!
any advice at this regard?

thanks in advance
tommaso

Luís Novo

Mar 29, 2018, 3:41:56 AM3/29/18
to DropboxPortableAHK

Xavier Geoffret

Mar 29, 2018, 4:40:58 AM3/29/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
I used RehHacker to change FILEVERSION from 45,4,92,0 to 39,4,49,0, then recompile, save and restart DropboxPortableAHK
So far so good
Thanks for the tip

Tommaso Federici

Mar 29, 2018, 5:32:09 AM3/29/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
First I made what Alfonso suggested here:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dropboxportableahk/OY6WOraM_Ag/nV0c8_dGBAAJ

then I applied the workaround Xavier shows here:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dropboxportableahk/hUYvMRCmCQo/Jjuv6dgQBAAJ

and everything seems working smoothly so far (I made some simple test) !

thank you Alfonso, Xavier and all you folks!

rmrg...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2018, 12:56:23 PM3/29/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
I did it and it runs correctly.
Thank you
RK

Robert Magnuson

Mar 29, 2018, 3:09:23 PM3/29/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
I just did this with 46.4.65 and it works also.  Still wondering what has happened to Nick.  This method seems to work but for how long?  Thanks to all for this methed to keep this very handy Portable Dropbox as a option

Javier G.-Tarrio

Mar 29, 2018, 3:39:12 PM3/29/18
to dropboxpo...@googlegroups.com
Same here!
THANKS to you all for this valuable info!

Javier
Madrid, SP

Il giorno giovedì 29 marzo 2018 10:40:58 UTC+2, Xavier Geoffret ha scritto:
I used RehHacker to change FILEVERSION from 45,4,92,0 to 39,4,49,0, then recompile, save and restart DropboxPortableAHK
So far so good
Thanks for the tip

Message has been deleted

Alexandr Grinchuk

Mar 30, 2018, 4:42:54 AM3/30/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
Confirmation. Works fine with 46.4.65. Thank you!

RMR Games

Mar 30, 2018, 6:36:40 AM3/30/18
to dropboxpo...@googlegroups.com

I followed instructions from Xavier Geoffret & Alfonso Arciniega, and I have created a small tutorial and the file dropbox.exe modified.

You can read it from https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dropboxportableahk/5tqjYyZNjHg

RK - FREEDOM FOR CATALONIA ||*||

Alfonso Arciniega

Apr 2, 2018, 11:25:23 AM4/2/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
Thank you, guys. I've just tried the workaround and it worked perfectly!
Regards,
Alfonso

Juraj Frankovský

Apr 2, 2018, 11:27:52 AM4/2/18
to dropboxpo...@googlegroups.com
Also confirming

James

Apr 3, 2018, 5:48:11 AM4/3/18
to DropboxPortableAHK

lesserevil

Apr 4, 2018, 7:10:43 AM4/4/18
to DropboxPortableAHK

My two cents: You can use any hash editor for changing Binary File Version number.

I'm using Restorator for this purpose. One needs to switch it to Edit mode (F6) to make the text field editable, and then commit changes (F8), and then save the Dropbox.exe file.
Thank you very much for this hack!

Günther Blumenstock

Apr 5, 2018, 4:05:14 AM4/5/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
Thanks a lot for your instructions, Alfonso and Xavier. Great job, now it works perfectly.

@all: please note that the Reshacker.exe comes with the DPAHK installation. No need to download it from somewhere. You can find it in subfolder \.dbfiles

Kind regards,
Guenther

Net-Yeti

Apr 6, 2018, 5:19:24 AM4/6/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
Thanks to Alfonso and James - great job, everything works fine again. Anyway, I hope nothing bad happened to Nick and he's fine.

Jannik Anderegg

Apr 6, 2018, 6:07:09 AM4/6/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
I tried the manual mentioned below. But by me it does not work. DropboxportableAHK does start, then several instances of dropbox.exe are loaded.
But then all thes processes disappear after several minutes in task manager.
Does anyone now a solution?

Juraj Frankovský

Apr 8, 2018, 8:59:09 AM4/8/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
Actually, the trick with extracting of the offline installer was originally described by me.

Andreas

Apr 8, 2018, 10:06:12 AM4/8/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
Normal use seems to work, but things like sync & go or icon change on tray doesn't work atleast for me.

Terry Chun

Apr 9, 2018, 12:04:37 AM4/9/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
Thanks for the tip on how to fix this! I was worried that this would be the end of dbPAHK. I hope that Nick is okay.

It may be heresy, but instead of ResHacker I am using the Simple Version Resource Tool that I found on CodeProject, which is a very simple CLI command to change an EXE version number. I use a program called FolderMonitor that triggers a script when it detects changes to a file or folder. Now I don't need to manually change the Dropbox.exe version number when Dropbox updates!

Marc

Apr 9, 2018, 2:19:59 AM4/9/18
to DropboxPortableAHK

Alfonso Arciniega

Apr 9, 2018, 4:57:24 PM4/9/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
This is correct, we should thank Juraj for first finding a solution in https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dropboxportableahk/FQm1szAhoIo/iNTi4iwMBwAJ
I've just expanded it a bit.
Alfonso

Marc LUDWIG

Apr 9, 2018, 5:02:04 PM4/9/18
to dropboxpo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Juraj!

François B

Apr 11, 2018, 9:20:34 AM4/11/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
It works with version 47.4.74. thank you very much !

Alfonso Arciniega

Apr 12, 2018, 11:15:10 AM4/12/18
to DropboxPortableAHK
Thanks Juraj too, again; and everyone else that is contributing to carry on with the portability of Dropbox.

Note that after repeating the process for the new Dropbox version 47, the first time you run DropboxPortableAHK hoovering over the Dropbox icon might indicate it is upgrading (again, after it just have been upgraded). Just right click the icon, close the program, and start DropboxPortableAHK again.

Alfonso