IDE integration with Drools

Vincenzo D'Amore

Aug 5, 2021, 11:50:55 AM8/5/21
to Drools Setup
Hi all,

I did something by myself (which I'm sharing in the following lines) but, in your opinion, what's the IDE that has the best integration with Drools?

To be honest, to start I was just looking for an editor capable to check the syntax of a drl file:

I found that even if intellij IDEA has a drools plugin https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/16871-drools
But you can't install it because it needs a missing dependency: 'Requires plugin com.intellij.jboss.core to be installed' (which seems impossible to satisfy)

VSCode has a Drools plugin but it only highlight the syntax.

Eclipse it seems to be the best, but looking at Jboss/Eclipse update site you can't have an integration with the Drools latest stable version (at time of writing 7.57.0.Final), but the 7.48.0.Final.

So far, I decided that Eclipse seems to be the best option (even if I couldn't work with the Drools latest stable version).

Any suggestion/comment is appreciated :)

Alex Porcelli

Aug 5, 2021, 6:01:47 PM8/5/21
to drools...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, we deprecated the Eclipse tools, as we didn't have
enough resources to keep investing in them.

At the same time we don't have a replacement too, so at this point, I
think it's fine to keep using the older version of Eclipse or the
community tools provided by JetBrains or VS Code.

Regards,

Luca Molteni

Aug 6, 2021, 5:59:18 AM8/6/21
to drools...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Vincenzo :)

> On 5 Aug 2021, at 17:50, Vincenzo D'Amore <v.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I did something by myself (which I'm sharing in the following lines) but, in your opinion, what's the IDE that has the best integration with Drools?
>
> To be honest, to start I was just looking for an editor capable to check the syntax of a drl file:
>
> I found that even if intellij IDEA has a drools plugin https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/16871-drools
> But you can't install it because it needs a missing dependency: 'Requires plugin com.intellij.jboss.core to be installed' (which seems impossible to satisfy)

The JetBrains plugin is actually supported only the non-community version and it’s not developed by Red Hat, but by JetBrains itself.

As you can see from this [1] answer on SO there are plenty of bugs in their bug tracker, so I assume it’s considered deprecated even by JetBrains.

> VSCode has a Drools plugin but it only highlight the syntax.
> https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=jim-moody.drools
>
> Eclipse it seems to be the best, but looking at Jboss/Eclipse update site you can't have an integration with the Drools latest stable version (at time of writing 7.57.0.Final), but the 7.48.0.Final.
>
> https://download.jboss.org/drools/release/7.48.0.Final/org.drools.updatesite/
>
> So far, I decided that Eclipse seems to be the best option (even if I couldn't work with the Drools latest stable version).
>
> Any suggestion/comment is appreciated :)

As Alex already replied to you, we [2] deprecated the Eclipse Plugin.

But I think you can still try and use it it should work fine if you stick to 7.46.0.Final of the plugin.
Please note that you can use the 7.46.0.Final plugin with the latest community (7.58.0.Final), there aren’t breaking changes.

Luca

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/a/68409520/4206
[2] https://docs.jboss.org/drools/release/7.56.0.Final/drools-docs/html_single/index.html#_installing_and_using

Vincenzo D'Amore

Aug 9, 2021, 1:24:42 PM8/9/21
to Drools Setup
Hi Alex, Luca, thanks for the suggestions. I also decided to keep using eclipse (the latest version) with the latest available drools plugin. Good to know I did the right choice.
Anyway, it's really a pity that Eclipse tools are deprecated... Just a last question, what about the future, do you know if there is an idea, there are rumors to invest on something else?

Alex Porcelli

Aug 9, 2021, 2:58:39 PM8/9/21
to drools...@googlegroups.com
It's always hard to talk about the future, but it's safe to say that
we, as a group, have been investing quite a lot in the VS Code and its
ecosystem. No short-term plans to provide an LSP (Language Server
Protocol) for DRL, but it's very likely that VS Code would be the
target platform for such a thing.

Regards,