How to build driver and merge to px4-v2 build?

Kyuhyong You

Oct 5, 2016, 9:22:16 AM10/5/16
to drones-discuss
Hello all,

My first post here.
After building and flying of many different types of drone with pixhawks, now I have gut to develop my own pixhawk version and tried to build the code myself.
Build and upload was successful so far and now I am trying to change the start sound of my pixhawk as described here.
I found the file need to be changed is in a different directory than ArduCopter and couldn't find how to build those files in the Firmware directories.
Maybe I am missing something here.
Is there anybody can help me how to build sources in PX4Firmware/modules and merge them to my ArduCopter code?
Thanks,

Kyu

Craig Elder

Oct 7, 2016, 10:26:43 AM10/7/16
to drones-discuss

Kyuhyong You

Oct 10, 2016, 12:00:43 PM10/10/16
to drones-discuss
Hi, I managed to figure out how to build myself.
I was a bit confused with the naming. I thought PX4Firmware is the same as px4-quad, hexa or whatever.
But actually they are referring to different project and I just need to clone PX4 project rather than arduCopter and PX4 is mainly for Qground control while Arducopter is for Mission Planner.
Although they look almost same, they work differently and as well as building the code.
Thank you for the reply.

Kyu
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to drones-discus...@googlegroups.com.

Tom Pittenger

Oct 10, 2016, 1:03:53 PM10/10/16
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
>> build sources in PX4Firmware/modules and merge them to my ArduCopter code?
Which modules were you looking to merge into ArduPilot?

>>I was a bit confused with the naming. I thought PX4Firmware is the same as px4-quad, hexa or whatever. But actually they are referring to different project and I just need to clone PX4 project rather than arduCopter
The Ardupilot codebase only uses the PX4Firmware for pixhawk-class hardware for a few drivers, no flight code, because there was cooperation between the projects to develop the pixhawk hardware. For the older 8-bit (no longer supported) or Linux builds the PX4Firmware is ignored. To build ardupilot, you clone ardupilot/ardupilot and it's submodules will pull in what you need from px4firmware automatically. You don't clone /px4firmware directly. We used to have a copy/fork you cloned, but it's all built in as a submodule for about a year now.

>> PX4 is mainly for Qground control while Arducopter is for Mission Planner.
QGC works on PX4 and ArduPilot. MP only works for ArduPilot.

-TomP

Kyuhyong You

Oct 16, 2016, 8:43:05 AM10/16/16
to drones-discuss

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 2:03:53 AM UTC+9, Tom Pittenger wrote:
>> build sources in PX4Firmware/modules and merge them to my ArduCopter code?
Which modules were you looking to merge into ArduPilot?

>>> I was initially tried to follow building ArduPilot for Pixhawk as described in here http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/building-px4-with-make-on-mac.html
which I can successfully build and upload the code into my pixhawk and run on Mission Planner.
Then I tried to change some core source inside the firmware however the code I modified is not updated and still the same.
So I found another build here  https://github.com/PX4/Firmware which is for build px4fmu-v2_default. I found this build is for QGC and works a little differently than ArduCopter build. For the most part, I can modify core code inside the FW which I desired to.

>>I was a bit confused with the naming. I thought PX4Firmware is the same as px4-quad, hexa or whatever. But actually they are referring to different project and I just need to clone PX4 project rather than arduCopter
The Ardupilot codebase only uses the PX4Firmware for pixhawk-class hardware for a few drivers, no flight code, because there was cooperation between the projects to develop the pixhawk hardware. For the older 8-bit (no longer supported) or Linux builds the PX4Firmware is ignored. To build ardupilot, you clone ardupilot/ardupilot and it's submodules will pull in what you need from px4firmware automatically. You don't clone /px4firmware directly. We used to have a copy/fork you cloned, but it's all built in as a submodule for about a year now.

>>> That is exactly the reason I start looking at https://github.com/PX4/Firmware rather than Ardupilot. I want to modify flight code and build to fly.

>> PX4 is mainly for Qground control while Arducopter is for Mission Planner.
QGC works on PX4 and ArduPilot. MP only works for ArduPilot.

>>>I didn't know that ArduPilot works also with GQC.
I really appreciate your comments. I found many thing from this forum. Hope I can give some contribution here.

Kyuhyong