Re: [drones-discuss] Motors suddenly stop at throttle up

Message has been deleted

Tom Pittenger

Oct 18, 2016, 5:10:47 PM10/18/16
to drones-...@googlegroups.com

Please post help questions in the forum: discuss.ardupilot.org and include a link to your branch so we can see what changes you made.

On Oct 18, 2016 2:01 PM, "RalleGAB" <rasmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I've been working a bit with the Ardupilot software and specifically the attitude controller in AC_AttitudeControl.cpp. I've just made a new version of the code which I've flown in the SITL simulator (using the cygwin terminal). However, when I attempt to fly the actual quadcopter using the same code (compiled for the PX4 board using PX4 console and the make command) the motors suddenly stop during throttle up, at about maybe one third to half throttle. Everything works fine up to that point. The quadcopter arms as normal and gives a green light. The ground station (Mission Planner on Windows) gives no error messages. When I start increasing the throttle the motors spin up as usual but at about one third to half throttle the motors suddenly cut out and I am no longer able to arm the quadcopter. The ground station still gives no error messages. The only indicator that something is wrong (apart from the motors not spinning) is a short beeping sound from the quadcopter about once every five seconds. The only way of being able to arm the quadcopter again is by turning of the power to the board and turning it on again, but regardless it always cuts the motors during throttle up at every attempt.

It's obviously something with the code, but since it flies without issue in the SITL simulator it's rather mysterious. I've made alternate versions of the code before and I've never had this problem previously, even when the code was downright faulty resulting in an immediate tip-over.

Has anyone experienced this before? I have not been able to find this specific problem mentioned anywhere else during my searches. Do you maybe also know what the problem might indicate? Is it possibly a built-in safety switch in Ardupilot, or an indicator of a software crash?

Thanks.
R.

Jonathan Challinger

Oct 19, 2016, 12:32:46 PM10/19/16
to drones-...@googlegroups.com

Beeping every 5 seconds doesn't sound like us. Possibly the ESCs. Maybe try ESC calibration.