Bebop Bricked no rcS file

Alex G

Nov 16, 2016, 7:33:08 AM11/16/16
to drones-discuss
Hello everyone,
I had been using APM on  bebop for the last weeks perfectly, I tried compiling my own modifications on the source. I uploaded my file and changed from the original program. On the next boot the bebop didnt have wifi. So i tried using a serial terminal emulator, when i boot I get this error:

can't run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory

I didnt modify this file on the latest update i did, this is the boot file of the linux and without this i cant have a terminal or anything to fix it.

Is there any way I can flash a fresh firmware through the usb or the serial?

Thank you

Julien BERAUD

Nov 16, 2016, 7:53:03 AM11/16/16
to drones-discuss
You can find on the wiki, a procedure to use a UART cable, is it what you tried ?

Normally, the rcS not being present should not prevent the console from being active. Then you should be able to revert your changes.

Alex G

Nov 16, 2016, 8:08:32 AM11/16/16
to drones-...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, I I followed the tutorial and I get output from the boot. The last line is the one I posted. It can not find rcS file and it doesn't boot. Then it says press enter for terminal. Then it says

process '-/bin/sh -l' exited

I keep pressing enter and getting that. I suppose the Linux is not booted correctly and that's why I don't get terminal to fix it. Is there any way to flash the firmware?

Thanks

Adrià Cereto i Massagué

Dec 9, 2016, 3:33:13 PM12/9/16
to drones-discuss
Hi,
I have a similar problem with my Bebop... but it's the /etc/passwd file that is corrupted, similarly not booting properly.

Did you find a way to flash the firmware or something?

El dimecres, 16 novembre de 2016 14:08:32 UTC+1, Alex G va escriure:

Alex G

Dec 19, 2016, 9:27:20 AM12/19/16
to drones-discuss
Hi,
i finally had to change the motherboard, did not find a way to flash the firmware. Im sorry
Thanks

Randy Mackay

Dec 19, 2016, 6:47:01 PM12/19/16
to drones-...@googlegroups.com

     I’m sure there’s a way to get back to the original firmware and it likely involves using ssh or adp to get onto the board.

     I’m not sure how to do it but I think Julien Beraud (from Parrot) or Michael Oborne should know.  If not, I suspect Tridge knows.

-Randy

Julien BERAUD

Dec 20, 2016, 3:57:23 AM12/20/16
to drones-discuss

Dear All,

If there is no UART console available anymore, then I think the only way is to reflash the bebop. In order to do so, you need a usb cable with the PIN ID tied to level 1 (5V).
Are you capable of building such a cable ? If so, I will give you a firmware update under binary form and the appropriate tools to flash it.
First of all, is it a bebop 1 or 2 ?

Best Regards,
Julien

Alex G

Dec 20, 2016, 5:38:39 AM12/20/16
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
yeah i tried using the serial terminal but on the new software is disabled (from 3.2) follow this post to enable it in case soft-brick.

There should be a way of dumping a binary into the memory, but i dont know how and where to put it, and i dont have the binary either.

Alex G

Dec 20, 2016, 5:40:49 AM12/20/16
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah this cable is totally viable, what would I need in order to flash? Im working with bebop1 HWver: 11.

Also is there a tutorial in how to build the opensource git? https://github.com/Parrot-Developers/bebop-opensource
I dont know how to.

Thank you very much

Julien BERAUD

Dec 21, 2016, 8:16:43 AM12/21/16
to drones-discuss
OK.
You cannot rebuild the whole firmware with just the open source parts.
I can send you an updated version (with the console activated), and a tool to reflash it provided you can build the aformentioned cable.

Cheers,
Julien

Alex G

Dec 21, 2016, 9:14:42 AM12/21/16
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
I would be very grateful, if you can send it to this email please?

Thanks