Execution Dr. Memory on machine without outside network connection

Gleb Myznikov

Aug 5, 2022, 6:09:08 AM8/5/22
to Dr. Memory Users
I'm facing with problem to run Dr. Memory on machine without outside network connection.
Dr. Memory send me messages like this

Failed to fetch symbols for C:\Windows\system32\ntdl.dll: error 1
INFO: fetching symbols
~~Dr.M~~ WARNING: application exited with abnormal code 0xc000a004

I' able to use Dr. Memory with -ignore_kernel argument. And it seems to work fine. But something is not clear to me.

1. What infomation i am losing when run Dr. Memory with -ignore_kernal argument?
2. I actually have  C:\Windows\system32\ntdl.dll. So why Dr. Memory tries to download one more?

Derek Bruening

Aug 5, 2022, 1:45:28 PM8/5/22
to drmemor...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 6:09 AM Gleb Myznikov <myznik...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm facing with problem to run Dr. Memory on machine without outside network connection.

If you have a machine with the exact same OS version with network access, you can obtain the symbols there and copy the symcache directory over (either onto the local or point at it with -symcache_dir).

Dr. Memory send me messages like this

Failed to fetch symbols for C:\Windows\system32\ntdl.dll: error 1
INFO: fetching symbols
~~Dr.M~~ WARNING: application exited with abnormal code 0xc000a004

I' able to use Dr. Memory with -ignore_kernel argument. And it seems to work fine. But something is not clear to me.

1. What infomation i am losing when run Dr. Memory with -ignore_kernal argument?

Without symbols there may be false positives in system libraries.

2. I actually have  C:\Windows\system32\ntdl.dll. So why Dr. Memory tries to download one more?

As the message says, it is not downloading ntdll.dll: it is downloading the symbols (debug info) for that library (and for several other system libraries).

--

---

Gleb Myznikov

Aug 8, 2022, 4:30:37 AM8/8/22