Mount file or folder

Johannes Pfrang

Nov 3, 2016, 5:28:09 PM11/3/16
to DriveDroid
First let me thank you for your truly awesome app!

I have a request: Let's say for example I install a new desktop PC and the Windows installation is missing a LAN/WiFi driver. Now it should be easy to download said driver via the mobile network and present it to the OS. Today's Smartphones often first need a specific MTP driver to show up in the windows Explorer, which also cannot be downloaded for obvious reasons.

I often use the create blank image functionality, because it presents a simple mass storage device to the PC, which is supported virtually everywhere. To get to the point: It would be nice if one would be able to create a non-standard (FAT) image that contains a copy of a file or a folder from the phone. Either temporarily, as long as it's mounted, or permanently.

Note, that this could also be achieved with a file browser for the .img format, but I haven't been able to find a suitable app for that.

Johannes Pfrang

Nov 3, 2016, 5:31:36 PM11/3/16
to DriveDroid
s/non-standard/non-empty

(mobile auto-correct)

FrozenCow

Dec 8, 2016, 5:18:50 PM12/8/16
to Johannes Pfrang, DriveDroid

Yes, something like this should surely be added! Coincidentally the FAT option for creating images needs a rewrite, since the current one is broken with newer versions of Android. I'm considering fully implementing fat32 in DriveDroid and make it expose the files and folders of images through Androids storage system (like Dropbox, Drive, etc). That way other apps can also save and retrieve files in there.

That said, DriveDroid itself still needs quite a bit of work to get the current beta production ready, so the idea will probably have to wait until then.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016, 22:31 Johannes Pfrang <johanne...@gmail.com> wrote:
s/non-standard/non-empty

(mobile auto-correct)