How to get the most out of discounted drip with no spp?

Christopher McCrory

Mar 6, 2021, 10:22:20 AMMar 6
to Dividend Investing - Share Exchange
I see a lot of Canadian companies offering drip but no spp. The securities are available through most brokerages, but not all offer the discount on a drip.

For example, I would like to invest in AQN.TO. The have a drip with a 5% discount. Questrade will drip but will not honour the discount.

Any suggestions on how to get the most out of this? I am a Canadian investor with Questrade. I am a long term value investor with few trades/portfolio adjustments per year (I just don’t have time). I have a few Canadian bank and energy drips with spp. Otherwise I invest in ETF’s with Questrade.

My only idea so far is to open another account with a brokerage that honours the discount. But then what is the point of being in Questrade? Also, most brokerages that honour the discount have a minimum balance for low/no fees. Starting from scratch in a new brokerage would put me below the minimum.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Chris