mechanics of gifting shares

S Reid

Jun 17, 2021, 9:21:58 AM6/17/21
to Dividend Investing for Canadian Investors
Hi:

I have a TD Direct Investing account and have recently read Derek Foster's book "The Lazy Investor".  I would like to get some starter shares for a couple of people as a gift to get them on the road to DRIPing and SPP-saving. I was ready to get the starter shares of TRP, BCE, and CM and I was prepared to pay some fees to get the certificates printed through TD Direct Investing, but when I called I hit a few roadblocks:
1. I was told share certificates are essentially not used anymore so it would be DRS statement instead, and
2. I could not have the them printed in anybody else's name (other than mine).

So either I am doing something wrong, or I have to go the other route and see if someone will start me with some starter shares on the "Share Exchange" group.  Any steerage you can provide would be helpful.

Scott

PS - I recognize I still have a long way to go in terms of administration with the transfer agent for these shares, registering in the DRIP, etc.

Matthew Kwong

Jun 17, 2021, 10:00:25 AM6/17/21
to dripinvestingorg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott
You could still get started with the first share, drip to build up shares (DRS) and then convert a share to certificate form.

You need to fill out a share transfer form to their name and the certificate will be mailed to them.
(Do you can’t gift it, unless their address is yours as well)
It’s been a while since I did a group purchase but I believe it hasn’t changed

Matthew
On Jun 17, 2021, at 9:22 AM, S Reid <sc...@sigpath.ca> wrote:

Hi: