My thoughts & questions about the move

Stuart MacDonald

Apr 3, 2021, 9:13:17 AM4/3/21
to Dividend Investing for Canadian Investors
I'm not trying to change George's mind about the move from his boards to Google Groups. It's a done deal.

Thanks George for hosting the boards for all these years, it's been an invaluably helpful service to many, myself included. I sincerely hope the discussion groups continue to be as valuable after the move.

I'm not a fan of Google Groups UI. When all you have is a hammer (email UI) everything looks like a nail (email). The trouble is that a discussion group isn't email and trying to force it doesn't make it work. Having said that, now I'm not remembering what my objections were. Incorrect threading I think.
Nonetheless George's UI was superior. I miss it.

The discussions and the rest of the DIRC resources are now in two different places on the web. I suspect this will have an overall lessening effect; less links in discussions to DIRC resources, less people looking around the DIRC website since they're going direct to Google Groups for the discussions. Stuff like that. I think this is counterproductive to George's original purpose for the discussion groups.

Are these groups moderated at all? I don't see anything that indicates either way.

The Share Exchange has lost the 'Caution to Newbies' link, which I think was important. I don't see an easy way to add it.

And a side note about the floating add at the bottom of the DIRC website: George I don't know if you're content-filtering those ads or not...  in a quick test 8 of 10 ads featured women in a sexualized situation. I'm pretty liberal and very good at ignoring ads, but other people might be put off by them.

...Stu (studog on the old boards)

Stuart MacDonald

Apr 15, 2021, 3:11:09 PM4/15/21
to Dividend Investing for Canadian Investors
Google Groups does not have a UI indication of new unread messages in a particular group, so one has to look into every group to see if there are new messages. That's...  well, I would say sub-optimal but here in our third decade of internet it's actually closer to unacceptable.

Share Exchange was usually the busiest board....  now it's a ghost town. I suspect this indicates that the move wasn't a great idea.

...Stu (studog on the old boards)

Bruce Taylor

Apr 16, 2021, 1:22:39 AM4/16/21
to Dividend Investing for Canadian Investors
Yes, I am with you, Studog.  Tigger