Access problems to Drexel Island

Jean-Claude Bradley

Sep 7, 2007, 6:39:24 AM9/7/07
to Drexel Island
Many users have complained in the past 24 hours that they were blocked from Drexel Island.
Somehow, under the access tab both group and avatar check boxes were selected.  Does anyone know how this happened?   This is the second time in the past month and it has caused problems for a lot of people.
I am going through all the parcels to make sure that access is enabled.
Eloise could you double check this please?

Only members of Drexel Teachers can build but everyone should be allowed to visit Drexel island.

--
Jean-Claude Bradley, Ph. D.
E-Learning Coordinator for the College of Arts and Sciences

http://drexel-coas-elearning.blogspot.com
http://drexel-coas-talks-mp3-podcast.blogspot.com/
http://usefulchem.blogspot.com

Eloise Pasteur

Sep 7, 2007, 7:35:27 AM9/7/07
to drexel...@googlegroups.com
I will check asap.

As far as I know the only way this can happen is it someone plays with the settings. I've not even heard rumours of it happening except by human interaction.

El.

sbdi...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2007, 9:00:28 AM9/7/07
to Drexel Island
Now I cannot move objects from my inventory to the floor. It says that
I am banned from the parcel. I can still build though. Weird!

Comer,Ronald

Sep 7, 2007, 9:44:50 AM9/7/07
to drexel...@googlegroups.com
In my efforts to allow new Drexel faculty to gain access I may have
mistakenly reset parcel settings. It would be helpful to know exactly
how they should be set so that I can be of assistance to new faculty who
show up and find themselves running into "Do Not Enter" barriers. I
have been playing with the access settings in an attempt to remove those
barriers for our faculty. I suppose what I can do instead is to simply
add them to the Drexel Teachers Group. I wasn't sure, but after
struggling with this over the past few days, I think I have finally
realized what I should be doing. However, I am still guessing since I
have seen no information regarding how the access settings should be set
and if once set correctly, simply adding folks to the Drexel Teacher's
Group will suffice for them to arrive and not run into parcel entry
barriers. This has nothing to do with building, just the ability of
others to navigate around the island to see things.

Apologies in advance if is turns out I am the culprit here Eloise.

Ron (Clay Cazalet)

Ronald Comer, DSW, Director
Behavioral Health Counseling
Drexel University
College of Nursing & Health Professions
215-762-7190 Office
215-762-7889 Fax

Jean-Claude Bradley

Sep 7, 2007, 10:06:32 AM9/7/07
to drexel...@googlegroups.com
Since it looks like the settings were reset again in the past few hours I disabled that power for officers.  The boxes for access (groups and avatars) should never be checked.  That blocks everybody else from accessing parcels on the island.  And it looks like it is too easy for people to do accidentally.

Officers still have all the same other powers, like returning objects, banning users, etc.

In order to put objects on the island you have to be part of the "Drexel Teachers" group, not necessarily an Officer.  Anybody from the Drexel Teachers group can add another member.

Eloise Pasteur

Sep 7, 2007, 10:16:17 AM9/7/07
to drexel...@googlegroups.com
I suspect you're the guilty party Ron, and apology accepted.

If you don't set any access setting everyone can enter the parcel. This is what I think you want. At home I use the access list to exclude everyone except my nearest and dearest when I want some peace and quiet. If you set access setting (group or individuals) then anyone NOT on the list is excluded.

The BAN settings on the other hand, ban individuals. Griefers for example. If you really want people banned tell Jean-Claude or I, we can add them to a region wide ban list. I'd suggest you actually send it to Jean-Claude, because although I have the power to do that, I'd rather not accidentally ban an avatar whose name I don't recognise, that Clay Cazalet sounds like a dodgy customer to me, prims everywhere, banning people "by accident" and so on...!

El.

Comer,Ronald

Sep 7, 2007, 5:07:12 PM9/7/07
to drexel...@googlegroups.com

The entire screw up began with my attempts to assist people coming to Drexel Island to not run into red-lined “do not enter” barriers around various parcels.  While I now understand that I need to keep my hands off the access settings, the question for me still remains why are certain people coming to Drexel island running into “do not enter” barriers?  I’ve traveled to many SL islands and only see those barriers when I’m on an island that is divided, it seems, into separate parcels with what appears to be totally different purposes.  Shouldn’t all avatars (with the exception of the few on the banned list) who come to the Drexel Sim be able to at least travel to all parts of the Sim without bumping into barriers?

So far the responses to my goof in placing checks in the groups and avatars boxes for access do not seem to address the problem of parcel barriers appearing, which people were experiencing well before I got the bright idea (though TOTALLY wrong) of checking access boxes.  Avatars like BellaStella Vella, who have been Drexel Teacher members and a group officer have been having tremendous problems with these barriers for at least the past two weeks…prior to my fooling around with the settings.

Ron

Eloise Pasteur

Sep 7, 2007, 5:53:45 PM9/7/07
to drexel...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like someone else has been playing too. There shouldn't be ban lines, but, as mentioned already, setting up "access" actually creates ban lines, because it only allows access to those people. You've come along and tried to correct the issue, and ended up propogating it.

El.

On 7 Sep 2007, at 22:07, Comer,Ronald wrote:

[...]

Jean-Claude Bradley

Sep 8, 2007, 5:46:26 AM9/8/07
to drexel...@googlegroups.com
As Ron and Eloise mention, much of the confusion may come from people trying to add new members to Drexel Teachers by using the Access tab under About Land and thus inadvertently blocking all other users.

The way to add new members to a Second Life group is somewhat counterintuitive. You have to right click on YOUR avatar and select groups then info then Members and Roles then invite new person.  Any member of Drexel Teachers can invite other members to the group and thus enable them to add objects to Drexel Island.

Right after I disabled Officers from changing the Acess settings yesterday morning I went through the island and fixed the access for all parcels.  If anyone still has trouble accessing a parcel let me know right away so I can look into it.  One reason we have multiple parcels is that each video or audio stream requires its own parcel.

Ronald Comer , DSW, Director