python 3.1 not working in lucid

Aayush

Jul 11, 2010, 5:25:50 AM7/11/10
to DreamPie
I need a interactive python shell that has support for python3.1, i
came to about DreamPie

i tried
$ dreampy python3.1
It hangs on the shell

$ dreampy python
works fine (Python 2.6.5)

~$ dreampie --version
DreamPie 1.0.3

~$ uname -sr
Linux 2.6.32-22-generic

Suno Ano

Jul 11, 2010, 6:09:28 AM7/11/10
to drea...@googlegroups.com
Aayush> I tried $ dreampy python3.1 It hangs on the shell

have you installed python3? aptitude install python3 would do the trick.
I am on Debian unstable with a symmetrical link from python3 to
python3.1:

sa@wks:~$ ls -l $(which python3)
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jun 24 08:36 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.1
sa@wks:~$

so, as you can see both

- dreampie python3 as well as
- dreampie python3.1

works fine for me

Suno Ano

Jul 11, 2010, 6:11:09 AM7/11/10
to drea...@googlegroups.com
forgot to mention it: we do have an IRC channel, #dreampie on
irc.freenode.net

Suno Ano

Jul 11, 2010, 6:17:59 AM7/11/10
to drea...@googlegroups.com
/me again ...

Aayush> $ dreampy python works fine (Python 2.6.5)

I totally overlooked that too the first time; it is *dreampie* not
*dreampy*.

Aayush Poudel

Jul 11, 2010, 1:10:52 PM7/11/10
to drea...@googlegroups.com
now i have python3 as well as python3.1
python3 -> python3.1
and it is still not working, it just hangs in the terminal. but if i do
dreampie python
dreampie python2.6
it works

actually i have tried
dreampie not dreampy its just typing mistake

i am running ubuntu lucid,
--
Aayush Poudel,
http://www.aayushpoudel.info

Suno Ano

Jul 11, 2010, 1:23:01 PM7/11/10
to drea...@googlegroups.com
try running it from a terminal and not direct stderr to /dev/null or
something. Also, you might want to strace it.

Suno Ano

Jul 11, 2010, 2:27:30 PM7/11/10
to drea...@googlegroups.com
Everybody following up on this, the solutions was to grab the source
from trunk (bzr co lp:dreampie) since the .deb on Ubuntu Lucid seems to
have some issues.

It is then also quite handy to do some .bashrc stuff to make it easy to
e.g. start dreampie on Python 3 with a simple dp3; see dreampie section
at
http://www.markus-gattol.name/ws/bash.html#some_bashrc_customization_i_did