Feature request - add ability to autosave history to some default history file

constant...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2010, 5:56:26 AM10/12/10
to DreamPie
Hello

I like Dreampie a lot, but there is one feature that would make it
much more handy to me - I would like to be able to set default history
file in options.

It would have the following properties:
* Whenever dreampie is launched, this history file would be
automatically loaded if it exists, else created.
* Everything would be appended to this file and saved either after
each command or at exit.
* (optional - if this is easy to do) Saving the history file manually
would disable the auto-history file until Dreampie exit and the
commands would be logged to manually chosen file.

I usually use Dreampie for quick calculations and close it when not
needed, then I return to it some time after that and I often have to
remember/retype functions.
Or I have to save the history manually and remember the file name and
load it manually after starting dream pie.
Thats not a lot of work, but still its a chore. Would it be hard to
implement this option?

Noam Yorav-Raphael

Oct 12, 2010, 6:09:12 AM10/12/10
to drea...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

It's nice to know that you like DreamPie!

Thanks for your suggestion! It helped me realize that DreamPie's
history file handling can be improved.

What I plan to change is:
* After opening a file, the "current file" will be set to that file.
* Before closing DreamPie, the dialog box will let you save the
history (the standard cancel/save/discard quitting dialog)

This means that you will be able to have your history saved easily:
* Save the history into a new file once.
* When you open DreamPie, open that file from the history menu (it
should appear in the recent files). You can do that by pressing "alt-h
0".
* When you quit DreamPie, choose to save the file (it should probably
be the default, so you just press another enter).

What do you think about that?

Noam

Constantine Lisiy

Oct 12, 2010, 6:35:31 AM10/12/10
to DreamPie
Thit would work fine, thanks. No more open/save dialog windows. Also I
have just realized that I can load history from recent files list.
That will help me even with current version.

Also if there would be "remember my decision" checkbox as in current
quit dialog, then there would be on average 0 dialogs per dreampie
run!

On Oct 12, 1:09 pm, Noam Yorav-Raphael <noamr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It's nice to know that you like DreamPie!
>
> Thanks for your suggestion! It helped me realize that DreamPie's
> history file handling can be improved.
>
> What I plan to change is:
> * After opening a file, the "current file" will be set to that file.
> * Before closing DreamPie, the dialog box will let you save the
> history (the standard cancel/save/discard quitting dialog)
>
> This means that you will be able to have your history saved easily:
> * Save the history into a new file once.
> * When you open DreamPie, open that file from the history menu (it
> should appear in the recent files). You can do that by pressing "alt-h
> 0".
> * When you quit DreamPie, choose to save the file (it should probably
> be the default, so you just press another enter).
>
> What do you think about that?
>
> Noam
>
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM, constantine.li...@gmail.com

Noam Yorav-Raphael

Oct 12, 2010, 10:33:30 AM10/12/10
to drea...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Constantine Lisiy
<constant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thit would work fine, thanks. No more open/save dialog windows. Also I
> have just realized that I can load history from recent files list.
> That will help me even with current version.
>
> Also if there would be "remember my decision" checkbox as in current
> quit dialog, then there would be on average 0 dialogs per dreampie
> run!

I don't want to have an option to save without the user confirmation,
so I think that the "don't ask me again" option will only apply to
quitting when the history wasn't saved at all.

You could still press ctrl-s and then quit (alt-F4), so you'll have no
dialogs...