Oportunity to make certain Texts bold

Suno Ano

Jul 7, 2010, 12:02:45 PM7/7/10
to DreamPie
Hi,

right now one can make either all text bold or none. A more fine-
grained choice would be nice i.e. it would be nice if one could choose
to mabye just have bold parentheses and all the rest be non-bold.

Noam Yorav-Raphael

Jul 7, 2010, 12:16:58 PM7/7/10
to drea...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I don't plan to implement this. The problem is that different font
faces can have different sizes, which will make the display jump when
characters switch fonts.

Noam

Suno Ano

Jul 7, 2010, 2:48:33 PM7/7/10
to DreamPie
Ok, sounds reasonable. Thanks for the reply.

Beni Cherniavsky-Paskin

Jul 7, 2010, 3:17:59 PM7/7/10
to dreampie
On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 19:16, Noam Yorav-Raphael <noam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't plan to implement this. The problem is that different font
> faces can have different sizes, which will make the display jump when
> characters switch fonts.

I'm pretty sure [most?] fixed-width fonts are
explicitly designed with
same-size bold & italic!
I'm pretty sure [most?] fixed-width fonts are
explicitly designed with same-size bold & italic!
(duplicated to see that the chars are aligned with bold and/or italic (HTML mail))

Additional evidence: linux terminals support bold as one of the character attributes and nothing bad happens.
But maybe they take special measures to ensure it?
I remember xterm had "fake bold" by overstriking, or could use two fonts (provided they had compatible dimensions).
But modern terminals all use antialised fonts with no "fake bold" nonsense and it just works.

--
Beni Cherniavsky-Paskin <cb...@users.sf.net>

Noam Yorav-Raphael

Jul 7, 2010, 5:52:33 PM7/7/10
to drea...@googlegroups.com
In gedit, the default style makes matching parentheses bold, and
everything jumps when you move the cursor. Since DreamPie uses the
same underlying editor, I think it will happen there too.

Note that terminals just won't work with non-fixed-width font, while
the gedit/DreamPie editor will.