EBSD.ang files to Dream3D

王岢

Jun 4, 2023, 7:27:51 AM6/4/23
to dream3d-users

Hi,

Hope you are doing well. I am a student and I am really new to Dream3D my question might sound really silly. I would explain what I am trying to generate. I want to import the EBSD .ang file into Dream3D and expect a txt file with grain orientation information and position information.

Thank You in advance.

Anthony Rollett

Jun 4, 2023, 9:59:45 AM6/4/23
to 王岢, dream3d-users
We were all newbies at one point!
Look for the “Small IN100” example pipelines.  It should work for your data to step through the first few processing steps and simply substitute your data for the IN100 data.
See below for a link to our upcoming workshop ...
Good luck!
Tony

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to let you know that I am helping to organize a workshop on Methods for 3D Microstructure Studies at Carnegie Mellon University.  This will be the eleventh in the series and will take place August 16-18.  The workshop is intended for researchers at all levels and will combine presentations on 3D microstructure science as well as practical presentations on the tools and methods for reconstructing, analyzing and synthesizing 3D microstructures. A particular focus of the workshop is on 3D orientation maps, constructed from EBSD serial sections, transmission X-ray measurements, or synthetic microstructures. Participants in the workshop will learn how to use Dream.3D, which is a freely available software package that performs a wide range of functions for reconstructions of 3D microstructures, statistical analysis and generation of representative volume elements.

Information about the workshop and registration can be found at:
http://mimp.materials.cmu.edu/rohrer/3DMS_workshop_23/

I would appreciate it if you could forward this to others who might be interested at your institution.

With Best Regards,
Greg Rohrer

_______________________________
Gregory S. Rohrer
W.W. Mullins Professor
Carnegie Mellon University
DH A308
5000 Forbes Ave.
Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890
zoom ID: 648 818 3378
phone: 412 268 2696
fax: 412 268 7596
gr...@andrew.cmu.edu
http://mimp.materials.cmu.edu/rohrer/

Anthony Rollett

Jun 4, 2023, 9:59:46 AM6/4/23
to 王岢, dream3d-users

K Wang

Jun 5, 2023, 3:51:29 AM6/5/23
to dream3d-users
HI,
Thank you for your help, there are many “Small IN100” example pipelines, can you specify which folder it is.

Michael Jackson

Jun 5, 2023, 12:58:29 PM6/5/23
to K Wang, dream3d-users
Hello,
   As Tony stated there are some example pipelines that you can try to substitute you data file into and see what comes out at the end.

I am including a very basic example that shows the bare minimum filters that would be needed to generate the data that you are looking for.

This pipeline is the absolute bare minimum number of filters that would be required to give you the average Euler angle and centroid of each grain. In fact, this pipeline is not really enough for the example Small IN100 data set as there is a lot of cleanup that should be done before trying to compute these statistics. If your data set has already been cleaned up to your liking then you can probably just substitute your data into this pipeline and see what you get.

Having said all of that, if you start with the Prebuilt Pipelines -> Workshop -> EBSD Reconstruction -> (01) Small IN100 Archive and work from there you can get an idea of what might need to be done to your data set to properly process the data and generate good quality data. You would want to work your way through the EBSD Statistics folder of prebuilt pipelines and get an idea of what all is going on in those pipelines so that you have a better idea of the various filters that you can use to process the EBSD data.

Mike Jackson
BlueQuartz Software

Small_IN100_Slice_1_Simple_Segmentation.json