Combining statistics/DataContainer

stephane...@sintef.no

Nov 11, 2021, 10:17:55 AM11/11/21
to dream3d-users
Hello,

I have EBSD data (.ANG files) coming from different locations of a same sample material. I have processed each of them (Euler angles, phases, aspect ratios, centroids...) and got DREAM3D.data files. Since they belong to the same material I would like to merge all these data together and then compute the statistics (avg grain size, grain size distribution ...).
How could I do that? I do not find a way to combine containers. Do I need to combine attribute arrays one by one? That would be tedious ...
Any suggestion is welcome :-)
Thanks.

Regards
Stephane

Michael Jackson

Nov 12, 2021, 9:27:33 PM11/12/21
to stephane...@sintef.no, dream3d-users

If the scans are of the same X & Y dimensions and same X & Y spacing then I think we can pull this off. If the scans are different then I’m not really how I would go about combining the data together. I would have to think a bit more about the problem to come up with a solution.

--

Mike Jackson

Stephane Dumoulin

Nov 13, 2021, 7:15:58 AM11/13/21
to Michael Jackson, dream3d-users

Hi,

Well, it seems the scans are all of the same dimensions. If that was not the case, I could crop them all to the dimensions using the "Crop geometry" filter, couldn't I?

So how should I go about with this?

Thanks.

Regards

Stephane

Michael Jackson

Nov 15, 2021, 9:47:53 PM11/15/21
to Stephane Dumoulin, dream3d-users

They idea that I am having is to essentially “tile” the images into a large 2D scan. There will be stitch lines but I’m not sure that would really matter. The end result would be combining all of the data into a single “slice” of data. The issue I have is that I’m not sure there is really a way built into DREAM.3D to actually do this. Even the nightlies have some EBSD montage in it but that is just barely started. If you are good with python we could probably program something up in python and use the anaconda dream3d distribution to then push the data over to DREAM.3D for processing.

What are your thoughts on this?

--

Mike Jackson

Stephane Dumoulin

Nov 16, 2021, 10:39:40 AM11/16/21
to Michael Jackson, dream3d-users

I see the point.

I have actually 6 EBSD (.ang) files.

Using python I could build a new EBSD .ang file as a 2x3 stitched EBSD map. All files have the same heading, same numbering of phases (1 to 5) and same dimensions so that should be no problem, one only needs to change the coordinates accordingly. My only worry is the stich lines but those represent a minor part of the whole picture so any effect would probably be negligible.

I am not sure why I would need the anaconda DREAM3D distribution.

Best regards