Get statistical data from built microstructure

Zephan D.

Oct 19, 2022, 12:10:08 AM10/19/22
to dream3d-users
Hello All,

I would like to get the Statistical Data from a 3D microstructure and use the data to make more structures with the same characteristics.

Could someone please direct me to the correct filter to use?
I was looking through the synthetic prebuilt pipelines, but the pipelines would not run when I inputted my .dream3d file.

Thanks!

Michael Jackson

Oct 20, 2022, 9:38:34 AM10/20/22
to Zephan D., dream3d-users

Look to the Prebuilt->Workshop->EBSD Statistics->*** pipelines. Those will probably have what you are looking for. There is another pipeline in Prebuild->Workshop->Synthetic->(06) Small IN100 Synthetic that utilizes all the stats data from those other pipelines to then build a synthetic with very close to the same kinds of statistics.

Of note on this whole process are a few items. With only 3 slices I would be surprised if any of the grains are unbiased at all, i.e., all of the grains touch the edge of the bounding box. This means that the actual size of the grains are really not known. The best you can do is sort of guess. If you have a reasonably equiaxed grain system then those guesses are reasonable.

--

Mike Jackson

Zephan D.

Oct 23, 2022, 9:07:54 PM10/23/22
to dream3d-users

Hello Mike,

I was originally obtaining data from the paraview export feature, but this is a lot better.

I will take your comments on the grains into consideration.

Thank you!

Zephan D.

Oct 26, 2022, 2:07:01 PM10/26/22
to dream3d-users
Hello Mike,

I have some more questions.

Looking through the csv generated, I was curious about the grains that had zeros for Average Euler Angles and Average Quats.

Is this related to what you mentioned?

Or is this due to the slices being different sizes and some grains not having any other grains underneath them?

Thank you!

Michael Jackson

Oct 28, 2022, 2:27:26 PM10/28/22
to Zephan D., dream3d-users

If that is GrainId = 0, then that is normal for DREAM3D. DREAM3D keeps GrainId=0 for special purposes. Your data should start at GrainId=1. If there are grains that have an average euler angle of 0,0,0 then something is most likely incorrect with the input data.

--

Mike Jackson