matching the unit of microstructure

Leo Broken

May 6, 2023, 2:43:31 AM5/6/23
to dream3d-users
Hi all,
I was wondering if the unit of microstructure in Dream3d is um, because I want to generate the grains using Dream3d and import them into abaqus, but in abaqus, I want to use the uniform millimeter units to match the physical properties. So I want to know how to set the unit of Dream3d in millimeters. And I attached my .json file, could anyone help me, please?
7075-elongated.json

Michael Jackson

May 7, 2023, 12:07:00 PM5/7/23
to Leo Broken, dream3d-users
The units for stats generator are what ever you want them to be. For instance, if you put in a mean grain size of 50, that could be 50 um or 50mm? You choice. Just be consistent.

Looking at your example I see that you are using a mean Feature ESD of 13.992. If that is in microns that is perfectly OK. Then in the “Initialize Synthetic Volume” you have selected to use a 128 x 64 x 64 voxel dimension with a spacing/Resolution of 1 in all directions. According to the filter it would be estimated to contain about 344 features when complexed. Now, if you want to export this to Abaqus as ‘mm’ then you can use the “Set Origin & Spacing” filter. Select to change the Resolution and set the values to “.001” for all values. That will do the conversion to mm for you and the Abaqus export should look correct.

--
Mike Jackson                    mike.j...@bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software         www.bluequartz.net

On May 6, 2023 at 2:43:31 AM, Leo Broken <leovi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
I was wondering if the unit of microstructure in Dream3d is um, because I want to generate the grains using Dream3d and import them into abaqus, but in abaqus, I want to use the uniform millimeter units to match the physical properties. So I want to know how to set the unit of Dream3d in millimeters. And I attached my .json file, could anyone help me, please?

Leo Broken

May 8, 2023, 1:09:06 AM5/8/23
to dream3d-users
Hi Mike,
Thank you  for your reply, I think I got you. Here is another question. Why the element information is 64*64*64 after exporting the voxel information using the filter "Export Los Alamos FFT File" although I set a 128 x 64 x 64 voxel dimension in filter "Initialize Synthetic Volume"
Best regards,
Leo