multi-feature separation problem

Milica Letic

Apr 30, 2023, 11:53:25 AM4/30/23
to dream3d-users
Hello,

I have a stainless-steel microstructure model that my co-workers got from EBSD scan. I am trying to mesh the model, but in order to have certain number of finite elements, I need to make some changes as reducing resolution. When I reduced resolution, I realized that some grains in my model contain multiple parts - usually there is one big grain and then few pieces around that are separated physically from main grain. All those parts have one Feature ID and volume difference between them is huge (that makes meshing extremely difficult because of number of finite elements). I would like to remove small pieces around the main grain, and I am not sure how to do it. Later, I would like to fill the gaps with feature that surrounds the hole. I attached one example of grain with a small piece completely separated from it. Any advice would be really helpful.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Milica

Picture1.png