Re: Rotation questions about Euler Angles

Anthony Rollett

Apr 24, 2023, 7:13:35 AM4/24/23
to XB H, dream3...@googlegroups.com
Greetings
Dream3D uses the Bunge convention for Euler angles. It is also extremely important to learn about the difference between passive rotations (i.e., transformation of axes) and active rotations (as used in solid mechanics).  In materials science we mostly use the former, i.e., transformations of axes.  Time to read some textbooks (or, immodestly, my lecture notes at http://pajarito.materials.cmu.edu/27750/27750.html)!
ADR

On Apr 24, 2023, at 4:24 AM, 'XB H' via dream3d-users <dream3...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi there,

I am trying to figure out the rotation of Euler Angles in Dream3D.

The first question is about the rotation axis sequence.
What is the rotation axis sequence of Euler Angles in Dream3D? Maybe ZXZ?

The second question is about the rotation axis fixed or not. When we build a coordinate
system in three dimentional space, we have three axis X, Y, Z. Then we rotate an object
in the coordinate system. The rotation is represented by Euler Angles. Assume that the
Euler Angles's rotation axis is ZXZ. When we rotate the first angle around the Z axis, and
we will get a new X axis: X', and a new Y axis: Y'. So here comes a problem when I want
to rotate the second angle. Which axis should I choose as the rotation axis when I rotate
the second angle? The oringinal X axis or the new axis X' ?

Best Regard
Xiaobing Huang

XB H

Apr 26, 2023, 9:54:12 AM4/26/23
to dream3d-users
Hi, Professor  Rollett

Thank you for your time. Now I understand it throughly.

Best Regards
Xiaobing Huang