Schmid factor in hexagonal Ti

Eugenia Nieto

Nov 17, 2021, 12:51:12 PM11/17/21
to dream3d-users
Hi all,

I am trying to obtain the Schmid factors of the grains in my Ti-Hex DCT data by means of the Find Schmid Factors filter. I assume that to obtain the max Schmid factor in certain family of slip systems such as the basal ones in Ti (0001) plane and (11-20) directions I have to introduce the Miller indices in Miller rather than in Miller-Bravais convention as we usually do for hexagonal lattices. This leads to using the (001 - hkl) and (110 - uvw) directions, which calculates the max Schmid factor among the three possible basal slip systems due to crystal symmetry. However, when I try to calculate the max Schmid factor among the 3 prismatic slip systems (2-1-10 hkil == 2-10 hkl) and (01-10 uvtw == 120 uvw), when I output the grainData, the SlipSystems data shows that the maximum SF has been reached in 9 different slip systems, when they should be 3 according to the 6/mmm crystal symmetry.

Any clue on what can be happening? Any help will be appreciated!!
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Eugenia