Surface mesh and solid mesh

jiaxia...@ucsb.edu

Mar 11, 2021, 9:03:56 PM3/11/21
to dream3d-users
Hi

I am trying to generate a microstructure looks like in fig.(a) by applying the filters show in fig.(b). The generated result is show in fig.(c). The microstructure in fig.(a) has a finer mesh at the grain boundary while in fig.(c) all mesh size are the same. I thought this finer mesh is because Laplacian smoothing. Is that correct?
Snipaste_2021-03-12_10-02-09.png
I applied the Laplacian smoothing filter in here. But it doesn’t work. The output .xdmf file(fig.(d)) show that Laplacian smoothing filter generate some feature edges, however these edges doesn’t appear in the generated .stl file (fig.(e)). In the Export 3D Mesh, I use gmsh which only read .stl file in this filter. I am wondering why these edges doesn’t show in the .stl file. Is this the reason I didn’t get a finer mesh at grain boundary?

Michael Jackson

Mar 15, 2021, 4:39:22 PM3/15/21
to jiaxia...@ucsb.edu, dream3d-users

What application generated figure A?

--

Mike Jackson

From: <dream3...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of "jiaxia...@ucsb.edu" <jiaxia...@ucsb.edu>
Date: Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 9:03 PM
To: dream3d-users <dream3...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Surface mesh and solid mesh

Hi

I am trying to generate a microstructure looks like in fig.(a) by applying the filters show in fig.(b). The generated result is show in fig.(c). The microstructure in fig.(a) has a finer mesh at the grain boundary while in fig.(c) all mesh size are the same. I thought this finer mesh is because Laplacian smoothing. Is that correct?

I applied the Laplacian smoothing filter in here. But it doesn’t work. The output .xdmf file(fig.(d)) show that Laplacian smoothing filter generate some feature edges, however these edges doesn’t appear in the generated .stl file (fig.(e)). In the Export 3D Mesh, I use gmsh which only read .stl file in this filter. I am wondering why these edges doesn’t show in the .stl file. Is this the reason I didn’t get a finer mesh at grain boundary?

jiaxia...@ucsb.edu

Mar 15, 2021, 8:41:36 PM3/15/21
to dream3d-users
Hi Mike

Thank you, It is patran. I think the problem in here is because I didn't put a value for a outer point lambda. So the smooth can only view inside of the cube. If I put this value and lower the iteration step, I will get a surface mesh look like in this figure. It has some grooves between grain. If I replace the elements inside this groove with other small triangle which flat the surface, then use a 3D mesh software may get the same mesh.

Jiaxiang

1.png

jiaxia...@ucsb.edu

Mar 15, 2021, 10:21:35 PM3/15/21
to dream3d-users
I think I might wrong, a key difference between this two mesh is that in figure(a) it has a smooth grain boundary, while in the figure(c), it show a step pattern at the grain boundary.  In the paper where I get figure (a), It say the Laplacian based smoothing filter available in DREAM.3D can smooths out and suppresses any jagged boundaries between grains to achieve better grain structure representation.  When I try myself, it seems the Laplacian smoothing filter doesn't really play this role. I am wondering which step I put is wrong.

Michael Jackson

Mar 16, 2021, 9:27:30 AM3/16/21
to jiaxia...@ucsb.edu, dream3d-users

The Laplacian will tend to smooth out some of the grain boundaries but not all. There are deficiencies in the algorithm that we use that have never been addressed. There are filters in the SimulationIO plugin that use external meshing packages to create surface meshes which I would recommend if you are wanting to use the surface mesh for anything more than a nice visualization.

--

Mike Jackson

From: <dream3...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of "jiaxia...@ucsb.edu" <jiaxia...@ucsb.edu>
Date: Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 9:03 PM
To: dream3d-users <dream3...@googlegroups.com>

Hi

I am trying to generate a microstructure looks like in fig.(a) by applying the filters show in fig.(b). The generated result is show in fig.(c). The microstructure in fig.(a) has a finer mesh at the grain boundary while in fig.(c) all mesh size are the same. I thought this finer mesh is because Laplacian smoothing. Is that correct?

Image removed by sender.

I applied the Laplacian smoothing filter in here. But it doesn’t work. The output .xdmf file(fig.(d)) show that Laplacian smoothing filter generate some feature edges, however these edges doesn’t appear in the generated .stl file (fig.(e)). In the Export 3D Mesh, I use gmsh which only read .stl file in this filter. I am wondering why these edges doesn’t show in the .stl file. Is this the reason I didn’t get a finer mesh at grain boundary?

Siqi Li

Nov 5, 2021, 6:52:58 PM11/5/21
to dream3d-users
Hello Jiaxia,

I am currently encountered the same issue as you had before. After I applied the Laplacian smoothing filter, only the internal surface mesh inside the grains are smoothed. However, the stair stepped elements still remained on the outer surface of RVE. I was wondering if you have sovled this issue? Could you please help me with that? Any suggestions would be grateful!
Thanks!

Siqi

Michael Jackson

Nov 10, 2021, 9:34:19 AM11/10/21
to Siqi Li, dream3d-users

See the attached image

--

Mike Jackson

2021315日星期一 UTC-4 下午10:21:35<jiaxia...@ucsb.edu> 写道:

From: <dream3...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of "jiaxia...@ucsb.edu" <jiaxia...@ucsb.edu>
Date: Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 9:03 PM
To: dream3d-users <dream3...@googlegroups.com>

Hi

I am trying to generate a microstructure looks like in fig.(a) by applying the filters show in fig.(b). The generated result is show in fig.(c). The microstructure in fig.(a) has a finer mesh at the grain boundary while in fig.(c) all mesh size are the same. I thought this finer mesh is because Laplacian smoothing. Is that correct?

Image removed by sender.

I applied the Laplacian smoothing filter in here. But it doesn’t work. The output .xdmf file(fig.(d)) show that Laplacian smoothing filter generate some feature edges, however these edges doesn’t appear in the generated .stl file (fig.(e)). In the Export 3D Mesh, I use gmsh which only read .stl file in this filter. I am wondering why these edges doesn’t show in the .stl file. Is this the reason I didn’t get a finer mesh at grain boundary?

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 9.32.12 AM.png