Clarifications about "Segment Features (Scalar)"

Ioannis Markopoulos

Jul 8, 2022, 1:33:47 PM7/8/22
to dream3d-users
Hello everyone,

I have developed the pipeline shown in "pipeline_img" in order to segment a SEM image with respect to the BW intensity (0-255) of each pixel. Each segment is supposed to be a different phase in an aluminum alloy, so 4 or more segments are needed. After I execute the pipeline, I receive 3 files, whose types are xdmf, dream3d and txt respectively. The txt file, called "Fit Parameters" has only one line which reads mostly zeroes (for example 0,0,8340.53,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,), which are supposed to be the fit parameters of each phase. The zeroes signify that no more than one phases have been generated.

The image  "segment_features" shows my arguments for the "Segment Features (Scalar)" filter. What I would like to know is how I am supposed to operate this filter (or any other filter) to segment the given image and produce multiple different phases. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Ioannis Markopoulos
pipeline_img.PNG
segment_features.PNG

Michael Jackson

Jul 11, 2022, 8:40:12 AM7/11/22
to Ioannis Markopoulos, dream3d-users

For the Segment Features Scalar filter operating on a “Mask” array you should use a Scalar Tolerance of zero. This setting will make sure that when pixels are compared to figure out if they belong to the same “feature” they must have the exact same value. Using a value of 1 on a Boolean Mask type of array will essentially create a single feature because the values are either 0 or 1 in the Mask array.

--

Mike Jackson