Stats Generator to STL

Zephan D.

Nov 14, 2021, 4:26:05 PM11/14/21
to dream3d-users
Hello All,

I have made some microstructures, and would like to export them as .stl's.

However, to export an STL, the software reminds me that I need Triangle Geometry.
I believe that I must use the "Create Geometry" pipeline, but I'm not sure where to go from here.
What do I put into the Required Objects section of this filter?

I have attached my file to make things clearer.
Please let me know if I am going about this in the right/wrong direction.

Thanks!

Zephan D.

Nov 15, 2021, 11:14:53 AM11/15/21
to dream3d-users
Here is the file.
longgraintostl.json

Michael Jackson

Nov 15, 2021, 7:15:03 PM11/15/21
to Zephan D., dream3d-users

Dear Z,

  Just use the “Quick Mesh” filter which will generate the Triangle geometry for each Feature. Then you can use the STL exporter to export out the STL files.

--

Mike Jackson

Zephan D.

Nov 16, 2021, 3:36:54 PM11/16/21
to dream3d-users
Thank you for the quick response!

I am now getting STL files. However, I did not realize that I would be getting the grains in separate stls.
Is there a way to export the entire microstructure while still keeping the indiviual grain characteristics?

Best,

Michael Jackson

Nov 16, 2021, 5:49:01 PM11/16/21
to Zephan D., dream3d-users

There is no standard way of storing information about each triangle in an STL file. Companies like Magics will use their own proprietary information storing block of data for each triangle but no-one else knows how to read those. And general purpose readers will not know everyone else’s schemes. So if you need the information about each grain for each triangle then another format is probably what you are looking for. What is your final goal for STL? Input into an FEA program? I would *not* recommend using STL as a starting point. There are other meshing packages that will do a far better job of mesh generation and integration with things like Abaqus. I think Stephane, in another thread, suggested to use “Neper” as the meshing package.

--

Mike Jackson

Zephan D.

Nov 18, 2021, 4:47:13 PM11/18/21
to dream3d-users
Thank you for letting me know all of this! I will look into Neper.