how to convert Euler angle to IPF color code?

Chang-Yun Song

Aug 2, 2022, 3:58:17 AM8/2/22
to dream3d-users
Hello
I am a student who wants to learn more about EBSD.

Thanks to the detailed explanation on the site referenced below, I was able to understand how Euler angles are converted in Euler colors.

[ phi1 / 2Pi * 255,  Phi / Pi * 255,  phi2 / 2Pi * 255  '

Unfortunately, I cannot understand IPF color which is commenly use.

I know I can simply use a filter, but I'd like to know how it's converted.

              Euler angle --> which equation?? --> IPF color(001)

Thank you in advance

Best regards,
Chang-Yun Song

Michael Jackson

Aug 2, 2022, 1:20:18 PM8/2/22
to Chang-Yun Song, dream3d-users

Emmanuel Atindama

Jun 28, 2023, 7:07:08 PM6/28/23
to dream3d-users
Dear Mike Jackson,

I am working on a research paper involving with Euler angles for EBSD data, and I will like to visualize using IPF data. I have tried loading my data into dream3d so that I can generate IPF colors for it, but I was unsuccessful.
Can you help me find a way to do this?

Kind regards,
Emmanuel Atindama

Michael Jackson

Jun 29, 2023, 5:15:19 PM6/29/23
to Emmanuel Atindama, dream3d-users
If your EBSD data is in the form of a .ang file then you can use an example that we have included with DREAM.3D:

Prebuilt Pipelines -> Examples -> Exad IPF Colors and just substitute your data in the first filter.

If your EBSD data is in the form of a .ctf file then you can use the included pipeline, and again, just adjust the input and output filter to load/save data to your computer.

Mike Jackson

Oxford_IPF_Colors.json