Merging twins and lamellar colonies

Helal Chowdhury

Aug 22, 2018, 12:51:54 PM8/22/18
to dream3d-users
Dear Experts,

Using DREAM3D, I'm trying to reconstruct a 2D image from a single EBSD scan. For my alloy (TiAl), more than 60% grains contain twins, lamella or both, (please see the attached figure).

It seems 'Merge Twins' filter works fine for me, which I can visualize by observing ParentIds in Paraview (figure attached). However, DREAM3D takes every lamella and twin object as individual feature, for which I lost individual grain information. If I want to merge twin and lamellar regions inside every single grain, what should I do? In other words, I need grain information as FeatureId, from which I can generate a synthetic microstructure. Any advice, suggestion ?

Many thanks in advance,
Helal
TiAl_IQI.png
ParentID.png

Michael Jackson

Aug 23, 2018, 7:56:23 AM8/23/18
to Helal Chowdhury, dream3d-users

After you use the Merge Twins filter you can then start calculating your statistics  using the normal set of filters. In those filters there is most like a filter parameter that asks for the “Feature Ids”. Just select the “ParentIds instead of the “FeatureIds” array and all should work correctly for you. In the end though you will have to figure out how to generate more statistics for StatsGenerator as DREAM.3D’s synthetic microstructure generation assumes a full 3 dimensions.

--

Mike Jackson

Helal Chowdhury

Aug 28, 2018, 5:24:58 AM8/28/18
to dream3d-users
Thank you so much Mike. Everyhing worked great so far.

Any suggestion for merging lamellar regions inside a grain within existing functionalities of DREAM3D?

Kind regards,
Helal

Michael Jackson

Aug 29, 2018, 8:20:38 AM8/29/18
to Helal Chowdhury, dream3d-users

By using the “ParentIds” everytime a filer asks for “FeatureIds” you have essentially merged the lamellar regions of a grain. If you are asking if there is a way to actually change the original input Euler Angles I am not quite sure, I would need to dig around a bit.

--

Michael Jackson | Owner, President

      BlueQuartz Software

[e] mike.j...@bluequartz.net

[w] www.bluequartz.net

Helal Chowdhury

Aug 29, 2018, 8:58:41 AM8/29/18
to dream3d-users
Thanks once again.

In the first attached Picture, I marked a grain (as an example) consisting of a twin region along with two lamellae nearby. 'Merge Twin' filter successfully merged twin region, but did not merge two nearby lamellae with twin region. As a result, the marked grain is treated as three different entities with three parentIds. I wanted that merged. Anyway, your advice is highly appreciable.

Kind regards,
Helal