CSL Boundaries

Silvia Reschka

Nov 25, 2022, 8:18:26 AM11/25/22
to dream3d-users

Hi,

I was trying to use the Find CSL Boundaries Filter on the Small IN100 dataset. In the end, the pipeline finished but the generated arrays SurfaceMeshCSLBoundary and SurfaceMeshCSLBoundaryIncoherence only contain 0s and 180s. The description of this filter says that the misalignment of two crystals of a face is given as the incoherence in degrees. I suppose that is where the 180 values come from, but it does not seem right to me.

I am also not really sure what to expect as a result, I was hoping for CSL values as in sigma and a number.

Does anybody know how to use this filter properly or what I am doing wrong?

Regards,

Silvia

Small IN100 CSL.json

Michael Jackson

Nov 27, 2022, 10:44:54 AM11/27/22
to Silvia Reschka, dream3d-users

You will need to smooth the mesh first using the Laplacian Smoothing filter. (As a first guess as to what is going wrong).

-

Mike J.

Silvia Reschka

Dec 2, 2022, 7:04:34 AM12/2/22
to dream3d-users
Hi Mike,

thanks for helping me! I applied the Laplacian Smoothing Filter as in (2) SmallIN100 Smooth Mesh example pipeline. The values for Face Labels are different now, but did not change for  SurfaceMeshCSLBoundary and SurfaceMeshCSLBoundaryIncoherence. Although there are more entries now, 3680297 and without the smoothing filter there were 3678347.
Do you have any more ideas?

Best regards,
Silvia

Michael Jackson

Dec 5, 2022, 11:43:38 AM12/5/22
to Silvia Reschka, dream3d-users

Unfortunately, we are not the original authors of those filters so I am unfamiliar with the source code and algorithms used. Using the “Laplacian Smoothing” filter should not be changing the face labels though..

Mike Jackson