Set the average size of the crystal

liang Hu

Apr 27, 2022, 10:37:43 PM4/27/22
to dream3d-users
Hi All,
I want to generate a polycrystal model that has a composition of 50 grains with an average grain size of 17 microns. How should I set these parameters(Mu/Sigma/Bin Step Size/Min Cut Off/Max Cut Off). Are there any rules to guide me to set them so that I can get grains of any size I want?

dream3d.png

Thanks
Hu  liangliang

stopk...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2022, 10:08:21 AM4/28/22
to dream3d-users
Hi Hu,

Mu and sigma relate to the mean of the lognormal grain size distribution along with variance per the equations commonly found online. The link below contains the information in the "Lognormal Distribution" section. You can manually change the max and min cutoff to basically specify max and min grain size, and the bin step size will determine the number of grains at a certain size. It is easiest to just manually vary these last three parameters when creating a digital microstructure model to get the desired outcome. Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Kris

liang Hu

Apr 28, 2022, 10:20:05 PM4/28/22
to dream3d-users
Hi Kris

Thanks for your reply. I have been able to set the grain size with your help.

Best regards,
Hu liangliang