Next week and another location but it maybe a good one.

Owen

Sep 7, 2014, 5:41:16 AM9/7/14
to dragonso...@googlegroups.com
Sadly on Thursday I found out that the renovations at the Old Doctor Butlers Head will take at least another week.

Given the issue last Tuesday and that the function room was booked on Wednesday going back to the SCH was not really going to work out.
But never fear we have a located another back up venue, The Kings Stores.

http://www.metropolitanpubcompany.com/our-pubs/kings-stores/#pub

Yes back to the old faithful, when I last talked to the deputy manager of this pub there was a minimum spend which is a deal breaker usually but 2 years later something has changed.  The upstairs has been renovated and the tables/layout are no long as good (for gaming) as it was but it should fit our needs for a week (possibly two depending on the ODBH).

Again sorry for the disruption.

Grateful if you could let the members of your groups who don't read the forum know as soon as possible.

Owen

Sep 9, 2014, 2:37:23 AM9/9/14
to dragonso...@googlegroups.com
How did Monday night go?

Aled Parry

Sep 9, 2014, 4:09:06 AM9/9/14
to dragonso...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I thought that the night went well. The pub looks great now, and there was quite a lot of room (although there were only 2 groups there so hard to tell). Seemed more spacious than it used to be on Monday nights but that might be due to the lack of "THE OTHERS" so we were using the back room. Think that the back room on it's own is about the same size as the dinning room at the ODBH.

Food seemed nice and the staff were friendly. Only down side was that the drinks were mega expensive, about double the ODBH. Cost £2.10 for a lime and soda and about £2.50 for half a pint of coke. Don't know about beer though as no one in are group was drinking.

Looks like the upstairs is permanently open now as part of the pub so don't think there would be any problems with going back there.

Aled

Sep 9, 2014, 4:58:56 AM9/9/14
to dragonso...@googlegroups.com
Things went OK, I think - no on else up there but us. Not sure how representative this is for Mondays. The upstairs is now a restaurant area, though, and I'm not sure how compatible our presence would be with actual restaurant guests.

Food OK, but overall more expensive than at the OBDH. Drinks same. Tables, overall, are smaller. In the front area, there was only one table that could accomodate the needs of an RPG group, other table were small round 2 or 4 person affairs. Not ideal for laying out everyone's gear.

Although nice, not sure what the long-term stance is on minimum spend. Tables not as gaming-friendly as ODBH (where we do have considerable flexibility with the setup).

Additional consideration - if, for one reason or another, the upper floor gets rented out to groups, at least at ODBH there's a fall back (the middle floor). It's not ideal, but it's a fallback position. I do not think we have that kind of options at the Kings' Stores.

My view - if ODBH reopens, stay there.

Best,

Johan