SDI-12-LB (SDI-12 to LoRaWAN converter)

Adrian M

Apr 25, 2024, 7:23:08 AMApr 25
to Dragino-user
Hi, everyone!

I recently bought some SDI-12 end nodes, but I am not able to make them communicate with the SMT100 sensor (SDI-12 version).
The issue is that I can send messages to SMT100, the sensor replies, but the SDI-12 data line is held high by the end node, so that SMT100 can't pull it down.

It seems to me like the end node doesn't frees the line after transmission, so that instead to to let it act like an input (waiting for the reply message), it continues to keep it as an output.

I verified this by inserting a barrier resistor on the SDI-12 data line: indeed, SMT100 wakes up on messages and transmits back its replies (seen behind the resistor). But at the end node side, the SDI line is strongly held at the high logic level.
As a result, the end node does't read any message from SMT100.

I was trying to update the end node's firmware by its UART interface, following the instructables within its User Manual. So I downloaded the Sensor Management Utility v1.2, but it doesn't work for me. It doesn't find any COM port ("Port" button is empty)

I am using Windows 7, 64-bits. To connect to UART interface I am using a FTDI USB to TTL serial adapter (UM232H) which is seen as a virtual COM port (COM14). The communication through it is ok, I use Hyperterminal to connect to the end node by UART, an I can correctly send AT commands and get back the messages from the node.

So, my questions are:
1. has anyone faced this problem with SDI-12-LB end node, which doesn't switch the SDI-12 line from TX to RX?
2. has anyone successfully updated the firmware of this end node, using Dragino Sensor Manager Utility v1.2, as downloaded from the Dropbox link ( https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/9kqeqf6wmet10o9hgxuwa/h?rlkey=4ikrg6kg5v0yjxwhp0i37wrv7&e=1&dl=0 )

Any suggestion/idea is very welcomed!
Thank you!
Adrian

Adrian M

Apr 25, 2024, 7:41:35 AMApr 25
to Dragino-user

The issue was solved by the help of Ting!
After changing the bootloader version from v1.1 to v1.3 and after updating the firmware version from v1.1 to v1.2, the SDI-12 data line behaves normally.
It is switched correctly from TX mode (output), to RX mode (input).
For bootloader and firmware updating I used Tremo Programmer application (link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j0qyc7a9ejit7jk/AACtx2tK4gEv6YFXMIVUM4dLa?e=1&dl=0 ).
Trying updating through "Sensor Manager Utility v1.2" didn't worked for me. Tremo Programmer works like a charm.
Hope it will be of help for someone!
Thank you, all!

Adrian

ye xiao

Apr 26, 2024, 7:03:29 AMApr 26
to Dragino-user
Hello

You have to need to configure the firewall to open the 5555 port, you can refer to the following screenshot

And this command can restart the LoRaWAN service: /etc/init.d/lora_gw restart