Range and spreadFactor use with Dragino RS485-LN

Geert Veenhuizen

Jun 7, 2024, 10:43:34 AMJun 7
to Dragino-user
Hi there,

I'm testing range with my
Dragino RS485-LN
in combination with the
dragino LPS8v2 Indoor LoRaWAN Gateway

The gateway has a Dragino LoRa Fiberglass Outdoor Antenna attached.

When the distance is a bit longer(500mtr) with some obstacles the connection turn bad.
I understand that this is because of the obstacles and distance but I do't understand why the SpreadFactor is not automatically adjusted.
When I get a little closer I get connection but in the spredFactor is still 7:
In Chirpstack I see
 "txInfo": {
     "frequency": 868500000,
     "modulation": {
         "lora": {
             "bandwidth": 125000,
             "spreadingFactor": 7,
             "codeRate": "CR_4_5"
         }

Shouldn't the Spredfactor be 12 ??

I will attach the downloaded json of the transmission
single-logTestRange.json

Edwin Chen

Jun 8, 2024, 2:37:17 AMJun 8
to Geert Veenhuizen, Dragino-user
Hi, Geert,

The MCU won't auto adjust the SF to higher one in short time. Normally the end node doesn't know the distance / rssi in time unless there are lots of downlink from server.

From:Geert Veenhuizen <gee...@gmail.com>
Date:2024-06-07 05:44
To:dragino-user <dragin...@googlegroups.com>
Subject:Range and spreadFactor use with Dragino RS485-LN