Fixing timeouts in long-running report exports

Daniel Martin

May 19, 2014, 4:56:21 AM5/19/14
to dradi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I believe that one of the remaining hurdles that affected day-to-day sooth operations with Dradis was the fact that long-running reports (think hundreds of hosts/issues) could cause the web interface to timeout (see this thread for the previous workaround [i]).

I’ve moved report generation to a background worker and now you should be able to click on Export and have the worker build a 1000+ page report without further problems while you wait watching progress updates via an Ajax-enabled console window.

I’ve also increased the verbosity of the report generation process, so you get a better idea of what is going on and when.

Finally, should an error occur during generation, you’ll get an informative message right in the console, which would be a first step in the template debugging process [ii].

This new release has been given a test drive by a number of fearless volunteers (without any complications, I’m pleased to say), but I’d like to open the ‘pre-release’ version to a few more candidates.

If you have experienced the "timeout during export” problem in the past and want to give the new approach a try, head over to;

https://portal.securityroots.com/releases/1.11.0.rc3

(as an added bonus, you’ll get support for screenshots with space names, and a few other minor fixes)

I expect v1.11.0 to be released during this week, and with this release we’ll finally say bye bye to the "Old interface”!

If you give this a try, let me know how it goes.

Stay well,
Daniel

[i]
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dradis-pro/5BfMSm0-0cs