Bulleted Lists in Word Report

wyoung

Jan 30, 2015, 5:44:12 PM1/30/15
to dradi...@googlegroups.com
In following the guide located here: http://securityroots.com/dradispro/support/guides/word_reports/styles.html I have been attempting to add more automation to some of our items in our report.  However, I can't get the unordered lists to work.  In dradis, the text appears like this:

#[Remediation]#

In most situations where user-controllable data is copied into application responses, cross-site scripting attacks can be prevented using two layers of defenses:

* blue
* green

When exported to word, this bit of text loses its formatting and the list items get stuck at the end of the first sentence like this:

In most situations where user-controllable data is copied into application responses, cross-site scripting attacks can be prevented using two layers of defenses:bluegreen

I've tried several combinations of adding more and less blank lines between and removed the space between the asterisk and the word (which causes an error when opening the word document), so I'm not sure what could be wrong.  Thanks for your help!

Daniel Martin

Jan 31, 2015, 2:36:41 PM1/31/15
to dradi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Will,

I don’t see anything immediately wrong with the input text. Two questions:

What version of Dradis are your running?

Do bullet point lists work some times and this is just a weird case, or do they never work for you?

HTH,
Daniel
> --

Morris's three golden rules of computer security:
do not own a computer;
do not power it on;
and do not use one

wyoung

Feb 2, 2015, 4:03:30 PM2/2/15
to dradi...@googlegroups.com, dan...@securityroots.com
I'm on Version 1.11.1.  This is my first time trying to get bullets to work in the report.  The bullets display successfully in Dradis, but they don't export to Word as bullets.  The only thing I can think of is that content placeholder in word has a style attached to it.  Is it possible that the  bullets are being overwritten by the style?  If so, is there any way around this besides having a separate content placeholder for each?  I can send you my template if it helps.  Thanks for your help.

Daniel Martin

Feb 11, 2015, 10:25:59 AM2/11/15
to wyoung, dradi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Will,

> I'm on Version 1.11.1. This is my first time trying to get bullets to work in the report. The bullets display successfully in Dradis, but they don't export to Word as bullets. The only thing I can think of is that content placeholder in word has a style attached to it. Is it possible that the bullets are being overwritten by the style? If so, is there any way around this besides having a separate content placeholder for each? I can send you my template if it helps. Thanks for your help.

Styling may be an issue, as in Word, lists are implemented not by a special XML tag (like in HTML with <li>) but as normal paragraphs with a special “list” style attached to them.

A quick test, what about adding to an empty document the following two content controls:

[Issue
[Description /]
]

If that generates the lists it means that there is something going on with your other template and we can have a look. If that doesn’t work out either, then something is wrong with the app / setup.

HTH,
Daniel

Director
Security Roots Ltd.
Registered company no 07389856 in England and Wales