Polycarp Fernandes

Andrew George

Nov 14, 2020, 10:03:59 AM11/14/20
to Dr. Ribeiro Goan School Ex-Students
The name Polly signifies for me a man of complexities.  High spirited huge brain wore it well-low key.   When we met the banter was incredible he could talk you out from culture art music & sports.

In school he was a furious competitor especially in Goal.  We always competed for that position & were members of the Victorious team that won the NBI Primary School cup.

He was objective & neutral on match reports.  The only time I read his bias reporting was the explosive contest with Kenya/Uganda, when the match was abandoned. His reporting jumped out of the page for me.

Polly not only wrote about football & hockey, he grew up on it breakfast, lunch & dinner his skills honed on RGI & fields of DRGS

Regret life will never be the same again without him, particularly for the rest of the members of the family

I have known him virtually from cradle to his passing away.

Kwekeri
Chris  Fernandes

Austin Trinidade

Nov 14, 2020, 5:14:04 PM11/14/20
to dr_ribeiro_...@googlegroups.com
How sad to learn of another classmate's demise. I remember Poly well and  pray for his eternal rest.

Vivienne D'Silva

Nov 16, 2020, 1:42:20 PM11/16/20
to Dr. Ribeiro Goan School Ex-Students
A classmate and sadly another of our dear classmates to leave us.  Thats a beautiful tribute from `Norman and from Joan.  A true gentleman our Polly,  losing you weighs heavily on our hearts and those of our classmates.  Rest in Peace.  Vivienne

Gabe Menezes

Nov 18, 2020, 12:51:04 PM11/18/20
to Dr. Ribeiro Goan School Ex-Students
Dear Vanessa and Malcolm,

Sincere condolences on the passing away of your beloved Husband/father.

We knew Polly well, although he intimated recently, that he wanted to be called Paul! We met up with him after several years at the Merton Goans Senior Citizens Association. Reminiscing on our past, we reminded him of the wonderful  lamb curry he cooked for our 2nd G.O.A. hockey team many years ago. This spurred him to cook us the dish and bring it to the Club for us!

He will always be remembered fondly by us.....most affectionate.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord and may perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen.

Lily and Gabe Menezes. Wimbledon.

Andrew George

Nov 20, 2020, 9:40:52 AM11/20/20
to Dr. Ribeiro Goan School Ex-Students
My deepest sympathy on the passing away of my dear friend Polycarp.  I have great memories of Polly first as a Sports Reporter that is very well described by Norman a fellow Sports Reporter.

Polly was a dedicated Sportsman who played Badminton & Hockey in fact all the three brothers Jacinto, James and Polly were  good sportsmen.  The two brothers James & Polly were the pillars in defence of the RGI Hockey team.   You get through one brother you will never get through the other and that is how the RGI won the M.R D`Souza`s Gold Cup in 1967 & 1970.

My deepest sympathy to Polly`s family.

Death  will always leave a scar in your hearth but the beautiful memories he left behind will always be remembered.

Paul Nazareth.

Attached is the photograph is of the Winners of the M.R. D`Souza Gold Cup Winners in 1967.
RI Team.jpg

Ivete Pinto

Nov 28, 2020, 10:21:58 AM11/28/20
to Dr. Ribeiro Goan School Ex-Students
Very sorry to hear about the sudden demise of our classmate and friend Polycarpo. We had the pleasure of  meeting him in London, England about 4 years ago with a few of our other classmates. We enjoyed the company and talked about old times over dinner. It was a wonderful get together. It is difficult to accept that he is no longer there and we will miss his presence when we see the others again after this COVID situation settles. We hope and pray that the family will have the strength of this sudden  loss. May his soul rest in peace with the Lord. We pray for his soul and for his family to surrender to the Holy Will of the Lord.
God bless them all.
Tony and Ivete Pinto, Toronto, Canada