Seven Vision Skills Question?

Teri DanCasky

Oct 11, 2010, 11:28:09 AM10/11/10
to dr-jef...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning Dr. Jeff Eger,

I read your article in the newspaper regarding seven vision skills and I feel that article may be the answer to my son's problem in school?

My son Donavan is a 3rd grader in Mesa Schools who for the last 3 years has had difficulties in reading and comprehension to say the least.  Donavan would come home crying say "I hate school" or "please don't make me go anymore" as a 1st and 2nd grader. I couldnt' believe what I was hearing. I communicated my concerns to his principal and his teachers. This is not right, he's too young to be saying this. The teacher suggest it was just a niche he needed to find then his confidence would grow. The teachers were saying he's a great kid good manners, but very kinetic, lack of focus in class. We have even gone through one teacher in 2nd grade "suggesting" he should be on medication. "Suggesting" he is a ADD or ADHD. She even told me "Do you realize how much money this school is spending on him to help him." I took immediate action spoke to his principal and his pediatrician. They all knew my concerns about medication and I informed them I don't want to put my son on meds.  He can learn, he can focus!  I want to try everything first.

Thankfully, in 2nd grade second semester, he got a new teacher who recognized he had needed a confidence boost and a reading gym. She also realized Donavan's reading ability is there but the words are not popping out to him and gave him a colored transparency to put over his text so the words would pop out for him. I think it is called SSI. It has helped a little.

This year we recently had a T.A.T. meeting with his teachers (2nd and 3rd) grade, Special Ed teacher and school psychologist.The result of this meeting was to put him in a phonics gym and give him time to retain the information so he can apply before they test him for Special Ed. He is at 1st grade if not beginning of 2nd grade reading comprehension level as a 3rd grader. We have til Christmas before testing him for special ed. Math he is above his grade level. It's reading and comprehension that is the problem. I had Donavan's eyes checked (+.25 and -.25 so together 20/20). They said it's not an acuity issue. Then what is it?  For three years we have tried various treatments, reading gyms, one on one time, the square over each word, colored transparencies, etc (no meds) and they are not getting him where he needs to be. Maybe, the seven vision skills can give him what he needs to read?

How can I get him the seven vision skills? Please let me know what I can do? I will do whatever it takes. I appreciated any feedback. Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Sincerely Grateful,

Teri DanCasky

Dr Jeff Eger

May 24, 2016, 8:21:59 PM5/24/16