Visit Michelle Brown - This Saturday Evening @6pm - 340 Haight Street

Matthew Ridenour

Apr 22, 2014, 2:27:39 PM4/22/14
Hi All -

If you are available, I would love for you to join as I visit our dear friend Michelle Brown this Saturday in his home at 6pm.  340 Haight Street.

Michelle is like a clowder of 9 cats all in one person - he's got about 81 lives in him.  That said - sad as I am to say it, Michelle may be reaching the end.  Michelle has been on hospice the past 2 months - and his health has deteriorated to the point where it seems there's not much left.  His spirit, however is incredibly strong - he's a light everywhere he goes - and says "Our God is a good God" at least 17 times during each conversation.

Michelle has invited over a Catholic priest to pray for him and read his last rights.  I'm not really sure how that works (I thought it was a very very last moment thing) - but he's set it up and wants friends to join.

So - I'm heading over there from 6-7:30pm on Saturday evening.  The priest will most likely lead some prayers + scripture.  I would like to also open up a time of connection and

Whether you've known him for years, or only a bit, Michelle LOVES connecting with people and sharing LIFE with others - so your presence is welcome!

No pressure to join if you can't make it.  Equally as important - please pray for Michelle.  For his spirit to be strong and for him to continue to "thank God in all circumstances- because I am the luckiest person in the world" as Michelle often says.

Grace + Peace to you all,

--
Matthew

Matthew Ridenour

Apr 24, 2014, 8:39:16 PM4/24/14
Hi All -

I have very sad news to share : I found out this afternoon that Michelle passed away.

Laura, his hospice nurse, called with the news.

I don't have all the details - but apparently earlier this week Michelle fell again - his body was too weak to remain stable.  Michelle was rushed to UCSF, then released back to be home.  When Michelle went home yesterday he was semi-delusional and ended up in the street - where neighbors called the paramedics.  He was rushed back to the hospital - where he spent his final few hours.  Nurse Laura had a priest come to read his last rights and pray with him.  Michelle passed early in the morning at 3:45am.

This is very sad news for all of us who cared deeply for Michelle - the kind-hearted, unique, generous, person that Michelle was.

I will still be going to Michelle's neighborhood (outside his house) on Saturday at 6pm- to pray and to remember him.  All who would like to join are welcome - although please feel no obligation.

I will be organizing a small memorial service for all interested - most likely 2 weeks from now (possibly May 10).

Michelle and I had many talks about his death.  He was never afraid of death- constantly reminding me when I appeared squeamish that "Death is just another part of life". Michelle always had a way of packaging heavy universal truths into a single simple phrase.

Michelle always requested his "ashes to be spread out over the ocean on a cold, rainy day in San Francisco".  Michelle loved the cold and the fog.
For whoever would like to join this memorial service, please email me directly and I will make sure to inform you.

Thank you to all who were his friends over the past few years (even if you only knew Michelle peripherally).  Michelle loved you dearly.  At least half the people on this list he would ask me about by name or occupation every time I saw him... typically asking "How's the nurse?"  Or "What's the teacher doing?"  Or "Is Cole STILL in India?  AND Dan King???"  "Now HOW are your parents doin'?"

Please continue praying for the people whose lives Michelle touched (and there were many - he was an evangelist).  That all would be comforted by the God whose comfort surpasses all understanding.  May all who knew Michelle now know the solid foundation on which Michelle rested his life - Jesus Christ. Every time I was with Michelle he reminded me a minimum of 12 times that "Our God is a good God".  May that truth be revealed more to us all.

I am comforted with the hope that, through his relationship with Jesus, death is not the final answer for Michelle.  Life is.

Grace and Peace,