Fwd: Make a Call, Make a Difference

Adam Porton

Mar 15, 2010, 4:12:48 PM3/15/10
to downtown-comm...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Annette Higby, National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition <ann...@sustainableagriculture.net>
Date: Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 9:35 AM
Subject: Make a Call, Make a Difference

Make a Call to Support Conservation and
Achieve Fundamental Reform in Federal Farm Programs

The Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP) pays farmers to produce environmental benefits - a crop we can all harvest.  It is the only program that pays farmers for how they farm instead of what or how much they produce and we think that's what the next generation of farm programs should look like.

In the 2008 Farm Bill we won $4 billion over the five year life of the bill in funding for CSP.

The Obama Administration's budget for next year proposes to cut CSP and other farm bill conservation programs by over $1 billion dollars.  The proposal would renege on the farm bill deal already signed into law -- as well as the President's campaign promises to support increased farm bill conservation spending.

On the positive side, the Obama budget proposal would provide a $36 million increase for Conservation Technical Assistance - a program that provides expert natural resource planning advice to farmers.

Please call Senator Kohl and ask him to reject the Obama budget cuts to CSP and the other farm bill conservation programs but to adopt the President's proposed modest increase in Conservation Technical Assistance.

Please Call Today.  Wisconsin's Senator Herb Kohl chairs the committee responsible for funding agriculture, and he's setting his priorities for Fiscal Year 2011 this coming week.

It's easy to call.  Please call (202) 224-5653 and ask for his aide, Todd Batta.  If he is unavailable, please leave the following brief message on her voicemail:

The message is simple. "I live in Wisconsin, and I'm calling to urge Senator Kohl to support full funding for the Conservation Stewardship Program and the other conservation programs as approved in the 2008 Farm Bill.  I also support conservation assistance to help farmers use those programs well and therefore urge you to support the President's request for a modest increase in funding for Conservation Technical Assistance."

Report Your Call:  Please take a moment to tell us a little about the results of your call. It is very important for us to know if you've gotten through to Senator Kohl's office and how they are responding to your call.  Click here to let us know how the call went.

Click here to read more about CSP and Conservation Technical Assistance on the NSAC website.

Your call is important.  Thank you!