Spring Updates - A good read

Kevin Schiesser

Apr 6, 2010, 12:18:41 PM4/6/10
to downtown-comm...@googlegroups.com
Hi there gardeners and friends of gardeners alike,

We're all excited to see the snow melted and the thunder clapping.
Means it's Spring and time to plant again. The Downtown Community
Gardens group is coming out of hibernation. We will be meeting on April
the 15th to focus on outreach. Specifically, tabling at the Dane County
Farmers Market Saturday mornings. We have been granted official table
space on the corner of S. Hamilton (by Brocach's), and are hoping to
have a presence out there during peak-hours, 10-12.

We have yet to find any space to garden downtown. Do not fret, we have
projects on the horizon.

The City's Central Public Library has gone through several 'phases' or
'renditions'. Regardless DCG group members continue to speak-out loud
and proud for the rooftop community gardens cap. In fact, at the
library board meeting to decide on the library rehab project last night,
2 of the 4 public comments spoke for community gardens atop central
public library. What's more, the idea has gained enough notoriety to
make it's way into the press on several occasions.

DCG has also been pursuing community gardens at Brittingham Park.
Lately we've discovered that due to a technicality community gardens are
not allowed there. We will continue to look for more space in the
neighbourhood and the entirety of the isthmus for gardens.

Please feel free to contact Kevin Schiesser by email
kevin....@gmail.com or Jane Anne Morris by phone 608.251.2784 for
further details

Thanks much for your support!

jan morri