{DCG:43} 5/7 Gardens Film Screening

Kevin Schiesser

May 7, 2010, 10:36:57 AM5/7/10
to downtown-comm...@googlegroups.com, MCC-Druml...@googlegroups.com
Marooned in Madison by the rain? Perfect! The Downtown Community Gardens
group will be hosting a film screening TONIGHT, 5/7, at Ambrosia Co-op
(225 E Lakelawn Place). The screening will take place at 7PM. It is a
double feature of garden flicks.

The first 2 films are shorts taken by Luciano out at a local community
garden just South of Madison. The first shows the rich history and
culture of Drumlin Community Gardens. The next is footage of Alexander
Company's clear-cut operation in the Fall of 2008, with a special
interview by Luciano of AxCo President Joseph Alexander. The land
underneath Drumlin Community Gardens has been organically farmed, on and
off, for over 100 years. The land and the gardeners risk vanishing.

The second half of the program features "Food Matters" (2008, 80 min),
produced & directed by James Colquhoun.

With nutritionally-depleted foods, chemical additives, and our tendency
to rely upon pharmaceutical drugs to treat what's wrong with our
malnourished bodies, it's no wonder that modern society is getting
sicker. "Food Matters" sets about uncovering the trillion-dollar
worldwide 'sickness industry' and gives people some scientifically
verifiable solutions for overcoming illness naturally.

In what promises to be their most contentious claim (for many Americans
outside the Isthmus, that is!), the filmmakers have interviewed several
world leaders in nutrition and natural healing who claim that not only
are we harming our bodies with improper nutrition but that the right
kind of foods, supplements, and detoxification can be used to help with
chronic illnesses as fatal as terminally diagnosed cancer.

The focus of the film is in helping us rethink the belief systems fed to
us by our modern medical and health care establishments. The
interviewees point out that not every problem requires costly major
medical attention and they point-to many alternative therapies that can
be more effective, more economical, less harmful, and less invasive than
conventional medical treatments.

Ambrosia Co-op overlooks Lake Mendota at the north end of E. Lakelawn
Place (which in turn is tucked-away between Henry St and West Lakelawn
Place) just north of Langdon St. Automobile parking is very limited so
biking or walking from the State St or Langdon St area is recommended.
Knock or come-on in the front door.

This event is co-sponsored by the Downtown Gardens Group (DGG) and the
Peregrine Forum. For more information contact Kevin Scheisser of the DGG
at kevin....@gmail.com or 920-585-3496.