triple stops and harmonics

Jack

Jul 1, 2007, 8:59:17 PM7/1/07
to The Classical Double Bassist
Hello All,

I am a new member to this list. I decided to write a short piece for
double bass solo and I would be interested to know more about triple
stops and harmonics. Information will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reading and best,

Jack, Ireland

Joe Lewis

Jul 6, 2007, 3:41:32 PM7/6/07
to The Classical Double Bassist

Jack - the best thing to do here is to post specific questions on what
you're trying to accomplish. In general, chords beyond two notes at a
time will be broken up into two (or three) parts due to the nature of
the arch of the bridge and strings, similar to violin or cello. There
are obviously some difficulties here, but when expecting the break
that kind of frees one up to try for wider intervals. It is always
good to consider open strings and the mid-string harmonic point when
constructing chord fingerings. Harmonics elsewhere will be possible,
but difficult to execute without much practice.

Feel free to post a file here in the group if you'd like folks to see
examples. The google groups feature has a files tab in the navigation
which I have yet to explore, but this might be a good place to post
excerpts in say PDF format.

cheers,

Joe
http://sanbeiji.com/