Error downloading resource over https when IE settings in place

Sarthak Chatterjee

Feb 16, 2018, 8:00:36 AM2/16/18
to dotnetinstaller
I am trying to download an exe over https in my own domain. I am using the download dialog component to achieve this.
Getting an error that the specified download has failed. Error line from the log file is

2018-02-16 18:14:49 *** Download ERROR: 0x800c0008 - Error downloading "https://hello.world.com/Resources/Dotnet4.6AllOS.exe" to "C:\Users\SACHAT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Dotnet4.6AllOS.exe.tmp": The download of the specified resource has failed.

Searching through forums found that the culprit is an IE Setting. In Internet Explorer, in Internet Options, under Advanced tab, under Security section if the setting "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" is checked then the download fails.
However if I hit the same URL in the browser, the download happens fine.
I am trying to distribute pieces of software through the dotnetinstaller bootstrapper and there can be can be scenarios when the user workstation has this setting.

Any way this can be fixed?

Posted same to GitHub Issue