Anybody know of any Legacy (DOS) to .NET tools

JaffaB

Nov 27, 2013, 5:36:46 AM11/27/13
to dotnetde...@googlegroups.com
All,

Does anybody know of any tools that will help me convert from legacy (DOS) based screens to ASP.NET?

I have a large DOS application with lots and lots of prompts and labels on it - and want to generate equivalent ASP.NET pages.  But, there must be a quick way or at least a short cut available in a tool - for instance....

I have a screen grab of the legacy screen (the text with prompts and data) - and I could manually recreate a new page in ASP.NET.... but it would be a fairly boring task having to recreate all the labels - is there any form of tool where I could take the existing screen, highlight what is a label, and the tool creates the ASP.NET label controls for me that I can then start dragging about?

Just looking for short cuts of at least getting the screens designed based on the prompts and labels that already exist?

Any ideas on tools?

Or should I just go ahead and create one of my own (which could scan the text of a screen, work out what is a label or data), create the required XML code, and I drop the XML code for the labels into a blank ASP.NET form?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen Russell

Dec 2, 2013, 2:58:00 PM12/2/13
On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 4:36 AM, JaffaB <jaffa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
All,

Does anybody know of any tools that will help me convert from legacy (DOS) based screens to ASP.NET?

I have a large DOS application with lots and lots of prompts and labels on it - and want to generate equivalent ASP.NET pages.  But, there must be a quick way or at least a short cut available in a tool - for instance....
--------

In the end you have to identify if you are going to modernize a UI or do you just see the old screens now appearing on a web page?  IMHO you have to refactor the entire app and get a UI designer involved early on.  Just a a guess but you have a TON of code that does a TON of validation that can easily be done in newer modern ways.

Thus answering your question No don't look for one and fix a functioning app that may be in reality very broken but it still works.

Told all those people on Cobal systems the same thing 17 years ago and the concepts have not reversed lately.

--
Stephen Russell
Sr. Analyst

901.246-0159 cell