Any advice on A/B Testing?

Shane

Mar 30, 2021, 11:17:17 AM3/30/21
to dotCMS User Group
Hello everyone,

I am about to start setting up some A/B testing on a couple of anding pages and wondered if anyone had some advice.

The method I am thinking I will be using is to alternate days where users will be assigned a "version B" persona, and making changes to the content for that persona.

Anyone else done something similar?

Shane

Mar 30, 2021, 11:37:15 AM3/30/21
to dotCMS User Group
Actually as I am looking at some documentation, I think I might just set a "request attribute" instead of a persona. That way it would only be set on the page per visit, rather than following a user throughout the site. Maybe there are still better ways?

Mark Pitely

Mar 30, 2021, 11:44:39 AM3/30/21
to dot...@googlegroups.com
You don't want your users to get weird/varied results. Perhaps alternate off of IP address? This has the advantage of you ignoring certain ranges (local users) if necessary.
There is an object each user gets ($visitor.dmid) that can be used as a unique identifier. You could alternate based off of that and it would be 'sticky' to the user.

Mark Pitely
Marywood University

--
http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management
---

Shane

Mar 30, 2021, 4:15:17 PM3/30/21
to dotCMS User Group
That's an interesting thought @Mark.

I might have found another bug: I set up a session attribute rule to test. I am doing date comparisons, but it seems to fire no matter what.

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 3.14.37 PM.png