Java 11 End Of Life - 30 Sep 2023

Danny Gloudemans

Aug 15, 2023, 5:58:33 AM8/15/23
to dotCMS User Group
Officially Java 11 will be end of life on 30 Sep 2023 (see https://endoflife.date/java) - expectation is that a lot of parties, like Adoptium, will still provide a new version - however it would be good to know when dotCMS will start supporting OpenJDK 17?

Will Ezell

Aug 15, 2023, 8:53:19 AM8/15/23
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Danny:

As you mentioned, Oracle's java might be end of lifed on Sept 30, 2023 but there are a number of well supported openjdk java 11 variants that will be supported for much longer.  For example, Amazon's Corretto Java 11, which we currently use, will receive security updates until Sept 2027.
https://endoflife.date/amazon-corretto

That said, Java 17 offers many performance and productivity improvements, making it an attractive goal for our software.  We have done a lot of work preparing the codebase to be able to run on more modern java versions.  While I cannot promise this, I would hope we can move to Java 17 within the next 12 months.

--
http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management
---

382 NE 191st St #92150