Can only access content from subdirectory or by file name.

Ryan Norman

Dec 28, 2022, 10:02:49 AM12/28/22
to dotCMS User Group
Wondering if anyone can help me out. Some time ago, I installed the free version of dotCMS (v. 5.2.8.4) on digitalOcean. I wanted to avoid installing a version that required elasticsearch since I had a TON of trouble getting that to install at all. Still, I had some trouble with this version, but I eventually got it up and running. What I'm struggling with now is that it seems that I can only access my site from subdirectories (ie. /home/index.html) If I try to access just [domain]/ it doesn't work ... [domain]/index.html does work, however... I thought browsers typically assume index.html if none was added to the URL in the search bar. I have a vanity URL set up (but maybe not correctly?) Anyway... no help online so... thought I'd try here. Thanks in advance! I can post logs or whatever here if needed.

Scott Wicken

Dec 28, 2022, 2:26:13 PM12/28/22
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Have you configured dotCMS to look for 'index.html'?

By default dotCMS looks for a page simply named 'index' in the path you are trying to access. This property is controlled in dotmarketing-config.properties. The property name is CMS_INDEX_PAGE. Typically, if you can access the page by directly specifying index.html and not by accessing the root path then you need to change this configuration (or rename the file).

Regarding 5.2.8.4: This version is no longer in support and is not receiving security updates. We provide docker compose examples of standing up the latest version of dotCMS with images for the database and elasticsearch included in the compose. You can find those here: https://www.dotcms.com/download#docker

Let me know if this helps!

--
http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management
---

Scott Wicken
Manager of Support

Ryan Norman

Jan 4, 2023, 4:35:38 PM1/4/23
to dotCMS User Group
I've installed the latest version of dotCMS using Docker (spun up a new droplet on Digital Ocean). The trouble now is twofold. 1. I can only access it at https://[domain]:8443 and https://[domain]:8443 /dotAdmin ... that works like a champ. But I'd like to modify my virtual hosts file to be able to access my site with just https://[domain] and https://[domain]/dotAdmin ... however Apache requires that I point to a directory when doing so. As it stands, I have no idea where that should be! :)
Message has been deleted