Travis West Talk

Travis West

Sep 9, 2022, 10:43:05 AM9/9/22
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi libmapper people,

It appears that the recording of the workshop was unfortunately deleted before anyone had the opportunity to download it, and with it the discussion surrounding my talk has been lost (if this is not the case and you have a copy, please let me know). I'm especially disappointed, since I was looking forward to hearing everyone's perspectives.

If you have a minute, I would still love to hear your thoughts. I've uploaded my talk to youtube so you can review it, and I hope you can spare some time to send me an email to discuss :)

Yours truly,

Travis West

Joseph Malloch

Sep 12, 2022, 10:56:42 AM9/12/22
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Travis,

Too bad the recording was lost! In the case of your presentation I think it would be better if we could just schedule another meeting – without you there to promote/defend your points the discussion couldn’t go very far during the workshop anyway.

From my recollection:
– everyone very much in favour of header refactoring and better separation-of-concerns. More for easier code maintenance and understanding that for improved compilation time but that would help too!
– some pushback on datasets being a part of libmapper rather than something that uses libmapper. I think some example scenarios or other arguments from you would help here
– no clear understanding of the benefits of your “everything is a device” / “maps shouldn’t be first class objects”  proposal :) This would be an interesting topic for discussion with you present.

Cheers,
Joe