Mapping tools virtual meeting/workshop

Joseph Malloch

May 21, 2020, 4:17:42 PM5/21/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I was thinking it would be nice to hold a meeting/workshop on the mapping tools, to discuss the current state of the project, recent advancements (e.g. v2 API, embedded platforms), and future directions. Is this of interest to any of you, and if so would you be interested in presenting any work or putting anything specific on the agenda?

Some suggested topics:
– review and discussion of the V2 API and features
– Mathias’ s embedded stuff
– discussion of user interfaces
– updating the roadmap
– reports on use of the tools for artistic stuff

Cheers,
Joe

Filipe Calegario

May 21, 2020, 5:15:03 PM5/21/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

It sounds great! I'm interested in participating.
I would like to collect some ideas about a better way to integrate Probatio with some mapping tools.

Cheers,
Filipe Calegario

Mathias Bredholt

May 21, 2020, 5:18:54 PM5/21/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

That sounds great! I have nothing further to add to the agenda. I'm excited to meet and discuss the future of libmapper!

Cheers,
Mathias

vijay

May 22, 2020, 2:25:14 PM5/22/20
to dot_mapper
Hi Joe! :-)
I'd be interested in joining - to reconnect and learn about the state of the project.

Cheers,
Vijay

Michal Seta

May 22, 2020, 3:53:45 PM5/22/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,
I'm interested in lurking ;)

Best,
Michał

Johnty Wang

May 24, 2020, 12:43:21 AM5/24/20
to dot_mapper
great! looking forward to this. we just moved back to the west coast for a while, and am just about settled in and available during regular working hours PST (given a day or two's notice). let me know when the meeting has been scheduled!

On Friday, 22 May 2020 12:53:45 UTC-7, Michal Seta wrote:
Hi Joe,
I'm interested in lurking ;)

Best,
Michał

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 4:17 PM Joseph Malloch <joseph...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I was thinking it would be nice to hold a meeting/workshop on the mapping tools, to discuss the current state of the project, recent advancements (e.g. v2 API, embedded platforms), and future directions. Is this of interest to any of you, and if so would you be interested in presenting any work or putting anything specific on the agenda?

Some suggested topics:
– review and discussion of the V2 API and features
– Mathias’ s embedded stuff
– discussion of user interfaces
– updating the roadmap
– reports on use of the tools for artistic stuff

Cheers,
Joe

Angelo Fraietta

May 26, 2020, 1:38:04 PM5/26/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Have any of you looked into what MIDI 2 has to offer and how you might integrate with it?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dot_mapper/c64a75cb-8a30-4f09-9792-6c95a3e14d40%40googlegroups.com.

Joseph Malloch

May 26, 2020, 3:27:18 PM5/26/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angelo,

Several of us were part of an afternoon-long meeting with the people from MIDI Manufacturers Association to discuss MIDI 2.0 as part of the Intermedia Mapping and Scripting Workshop held in Montreal last December.  MIDI 2.0 looks very interesting but doesn’t try to address most of the scenarios the libmapper ecosystem is designed for.

The "property exchange” feature should make it easy to build automatic bridges between MIDI 2.0 gear and systems like libmapper though!  As soon as some MIDI 2.0 devices are available we can discuss building something like this.

Cheers,
Joe

Joseph Malloch

Jun 3, 2020, 9:14:11 PM6/3/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Since at least some of us are interested all that remains is to choose a date and time :)

I think that most of those expressing interest are currently located in timezones between UTC-3 and UTC-7 so perhaps we aim for around 9am for Johnty/1pm for me? I suggest Tuesday June 9, Wednesday June 10, or Tuesday June 16 – would any of those days work?

For the sake of our schedules and sanity I propose that we keep the workshop fairly short, and that if we have too many presentation ideas we save some for a second workshop.

Best,
Joe

Mathias Bredholt

Jun 6, 2020, 3:21:06 PM6/6/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

On Tuesday June 9 we have another meeting at IDMIL.
Wednesday June 10 and Tuesday June 16 both works for me.

Cheers,
Mathias

Johnty Wang

Filipe Calegario

Jun 7, 2020, 3:17:20 AM6/7/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Tuesday, June 16 works for me.
I'm in UTC-3.
I'll have a meeting at 3 pm this day.
Do you think a 2 hours-slot would work?

If it wouldn't, Wednesdays are better for me.
In this case, I would suggest Wednesday, June 17, same time.

Cheers!
Filipe Calegario

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dot_mapper/d1d43993-4d9c-4448-8005-46aa7c6447b7o%40googlegroups.com.

Joseph Malloch

Jun 8, 2020, 11:38:22 PM6/8/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
So it sounds like Tuesday June 16 at 4pm UTC works for everybody. If you know of anyone else who might be interested please invite them, and also please respond in this thread if you would like to reserve a slot to present/discuss something so we can form a rough schedule.

I would like to reserve a slot to talk about the upcoming changes in the v2 branch, and I think we should wrap up with a brief discussion of our future direction and roadmap.

Cheers,
Joe

Joseph Malloch

Jun 15, 2020, 2:14:38 PM6/15/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Unless somebody has a better suggestion we can meet tomorrow on meet.jit.si – I will email this list again with a link to the actual meeting when it is about to start.

Cheers,
Joe

Joseph Malloch

Jun 16, 2020, 11:59:18 AM6/16/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

The meeting/workshop will be held here: https://meet.jit.si/MappingTools202006

There is a password to join - it is the name of the software library we will be discussing. Please let me know if you have any trouble connecting!

Cheers,
Joe

Stephen Sinclair

Jun 16, 2020, 4:11:17 PM6/16/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

Wonderful to chat with everyone and see so many people interested in
libmapper, really encouraging :)

Joe, very nice overview of the new 2.0 work. Regarding the release
schedule, I realized afterwards that I asked one question the wrong
way around.

I asked, how many projects would be interrupted or somehow bothered by
an early merge into master?

I think a complementary question might have been, are there any
projects, such as e.g. hardware products, that might _benefit_ from a
known release schedule?
If so, please write about your needs so plans and testing can be made
accordingly.

I'll repeat that in my view the 2.0 branch should be merged to master
as soon as it seems feasible, it's the only way the other parts of the
ecosystem will catch up.

But, I suggested waiting a bit, even until the end of the year, to
actually do a 2.0 release; however, it would be good to take into
account the needs of users in this regard, so if you'd strongly
benefit from an earlier release date, please feel free to speak up !

Steve
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dot_mapper/9DF9AE12-A776-4C49-BDB6-558ACDD24D41%40gmail.com.

Mathias Bredholt

Jun 16, 2020, 6:38:44 PM6/16/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve

I agree, wonderful to chat with everyone, and great presentation Joe!

I know of 3 projects that would benefit directly from merging the v2.0 branch, namely:
1) My own master thesis project MapLooper, a live-looping mapping tool based on libmapper
2) Two other master theses at IDMIL:
- Josh Rosh’s libmapper eurorack module
- The TorqueTuner project which is currently being replicated

Cheers,
Mathias
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dot_mapper/CADopUHYxbn72%2BqDg2JYsaFiH5QQwangF%2B0V4E1zPOHUBkkavEw%40mail.gmail.com.

Johnty Wang

Jun 16, 2020, 6:55:55 PM6/16/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Looking at it another way, the following are the things I came up with that I think should be tested working before the merge:

Hardware:
- esp32 port (Mathias: this is what the Eurorack module and TorqueTuner depend upon, correct?). Also Probatio as well...

Software:
- webmapper
- max/msp bindings (maybe pd, if anyone is willing to touch that again)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "dot_mapper" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dot_mapper/D507EC15-0751-4E5F-A978-AF416E46E770%40gmail.com.

Travis West

Jun 17, 2020, 5:25:07 PM6/17/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
For my part I will probably continue working with the version of Webmapper and the Max externals that I have been using, since I know they are more or less stable. I would probably not adopt the new version immediately, but would also be completely unperturbed by it being merged to the main branch. I say go for it.

TW

Mathias Bredholt

Jun 17, 2020, 5:28:08 PM6/17/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com