Dificulties related to installing libmapper

Joao Tragtenberg

Jun 16, 2020, 3:45:19 PM6/16/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Nice to meet you all at the workshop, my name is João Tragtenberg, I'm a partner of Filipe Calegario.

I am also developing some instruments and I always think if I should or shouldn't use libmapper. In another incarnation of my computer I managed to install it, but remembering how long I took to do it, all the problems with program paths, dependencies, and commands in the terminal I had to do I am always postponing it.

Since I do a lot of tests with artists that don't even know a Terminal exists, if I choose to use libmapper, I would have to install it myself in their computers (if I learn to do it) and if all the times they have to use without me being around the have to open a terminal and run a python code that would change a lot their experience using it, probably making them to procrastinate testing or designing cool sounds and possible interactions with the hardware I made.

Since it takes all that to install libmapper I feel many times that it is not for me, but after today's video conference I believe it was supposed to be for people like me.

I would really love if it was a .dmg or .pkg installer for Mac OS X, and that I wouldn't need to go to Terminal to install or run it, both libmapper and webmapper. Since I do a lot of testing with artists that don't even know a Terminal exists, and I need these people to use the instruments I'm developing without having to install it myself in their computer, a simple and easy installer would be a game changer!

Do you believe that is a possible thing?

If someone could assist me I could try doing that.

Best Regards

João Tragtenberg

ps. this was supposed to be an email asking for help to install libmapper in my own computer, I will ask more specific questions in a next thread

Stephen Sinclair

Jun 16, 2020, 4:21:13 PM6/16/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joao!

http://libmapper.github.io/downloads.html

Regarding webmapper a dmg should be feasible, it seems there is a zip
file there on the site that contains WebMapper.app, it should be
double-click runnable, but maybe Johnty can comment about whether it
is up to date. There was some discussion here in another thread about
bundling the application, so I'm not sure of the current status. But
in principle it should work as you describe.

Next, the objects for Max and PureData should be directly usable
without compiling.

Apart from those, however, libmapper is indeed a C library meant to be
embedded into applications, so it's more up to the applications that
use it to make themselves easily installable and usable. Applications
might be e.g. OSC and MIDI bridges, as well as programs such as
synthesizers / plugin hosts. Hopefully new developments to wrap other
languages like FAUST also make things easier.

Lastly the Java binding is intended for use with Processing and in
principle should be usable by dropping into a project without
compiling it, but I don't see a download for it on the website, so
maybe some work to do on that front.

What environments are your artists and testers working in that might
benefit from libmapper support?

Steve

Angelo Fraietta

Jun 16, 2020, 4:33:17 PM6/16/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
For Mac you should be able to add a .command file that will run a script when you double click it.

Joao Tragtenberg

Jun 16, 2020, 8:29:35 PM6/16/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for such a quick response,

I didn't realize the github was for installing the library, I have only come across libraries that are a pair of files or a folder. I thought libmapper was actually a software backend. Thank you for clearing that up. I will be learning more about it as I make it run and try the examples. Some videos would help.
The max object solves almost all of my problems, thank you!
I thought I had to install the library to make it run, I have just tested it and it is running fine with webmapper.
I didn't realize the OS X Binary for Webmapper before.
I have been using mostly Max for my setups, both for my own use/development and for the users to test it, so these objects with webmapper are more than enough.

I will be also interested in developing software in other languages using libmapper, maybe in C++ or Java, so I appreciate the help in the other thread to make it run here. After I make it run I will suggest some modifications in the documentation to help other soft-programmers like me.

Thank you!
João Tragtenberg

Stephen Sinclair

Jun 17, 2020, 5:32:12 AM6/17/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Joao,

your notes will be valuable for figuring out how to better describe on
the website how to download & run libmapper. I think you're right
that we could do a better job distinguishing in the tutorials between
"click & run" user-facing programs, vs instructions on how to use the
core library for integrating into software projects. Perhaps also
screenshots in the downloads section could help a bit to describe what
each download comprises and which pieces do what and are necessary for
what type of usage.

cheers,
Steve